21 things to do before you turn 22 years old
Published: Thursday, November 6, 2008
Updated: Monday, October 12, 2009 01:10
Call me sentimental, but my birthday is coming up (Nov. 20, presents can be delivered care of The Daily Athenaeum), and it's the big one - my 21st.
Being in the spirit of finally becoming an adult (at least by legal standards anyway), I feel the need to share a little bit of my wisdom - the wisdom that I have worked hard to gain over my 21 years of life on this planet.
So for the month of November, I have decided to devote my columns to lists of 21 things you should know, starting with 21 Things To Do Before You Turn 22.
1. Take a risk everyday - whether it's disobeying the five-second rule, or finally getting up the nerve to ask out that girl/guy you've been ogling in your biology class or reading a certain opinion columnist's column every Thursday (hint, hint).
2. Laugh - as much as possible.
3. Find something to believe in - this doesn't have to be a higher power or anything religious.
You could just believe in yourself and that would be enough. Sometimes it's the only thing that can get you through the tough times.
4. Dream big - find what you want to do, and do it. Don't think about it. Do it.
5. Find that kid who used to tease you in elementary school and knock the crap out of him - just kidding.
Please, don't really resort to violence, but you should look him up wherever he's living and show him how great you're doing at West Virginia University.
6. Make a friend and keep them - so many of the people we know often drift by the wayside and over the years we lose touch with the ones we once called BFF, so keep in touch.
7. Do something completely unlike you - get that tattoo you've always wanted or piercing or dye your hair.
Whatever it is, do what makes you happy.
8. Learn to trust yourself - you're not always going to make the wrong choice.
9. Go somewhere you've never been - the beach, the city, the forest - anywhere that's new. And bring bear mace.
10. Take A LOT of pictures - you'll cherish the memories one day.
11. Stand up for the underdog, even if you are the underdog.
12. Tell your parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles - whoever you love, that you love them at least once a day.
They need to know they matter too.
13. Be yourself - never hide who you are from the rest of the world.
Being comfortable in your own skin is priceless.
14. See a play or an opera or even an artsy flick - as long as it moves you and opens your mind to something new.
15. Make friends with someone you wouldn't normally - be it the drag queen down the street or the homeless man on the corner. Make an effort.
16. Occasionally see the glass as half-full.
17. Embarrass yourself in public.
Especially on the PRT.
If you can get everyone in the car to look at you because you've said or done something completely idiotic, you've won.
Don't declare yourself a separate country or march on Washington to prove your point, just find small ways you can rebel against conformity.
19. Hold your head up high in times of adversity - be stronger than anyone ever thought you could be.
20. Be afraid of no man - except for maybe Tom Brokaw.
21. Don't grow up too fast - enjoy being a kid for as long as you can.
There's no need to throw yourself into adulthood before you're ready.
Then again, don't be 35 and living in your mom's basement playing Dungeons and Dragons.
Take it slow and enjoy the ride, but know when it`s time to grow up.
There you go, loyal readers. My list of life goals for the next year. I call it my To-Do List for the soul.
Try it and see how much better your life will be.