As final round approaches, Idol finalist Daniel Whiteman hopes to have fun - The Daily Athenaeum: Home

As final round approaches, Idol finalist Daniel Whiteman hopes to have fun

Posted: Tuesday, November 9, 2010 12:00 am

Dan Whiteman is ready for the final round of Mountaineer Idol.

"I'm definitely ready and I'd like to win, but at this point, I'm just going to have fun," Whiteman said, a senior wildlife and fisheries resources major at West Virginia University.

Whiteman will be going up against Chelsea Malone, a freshman general studies major and Amanda Hughart, a dentistry graduate student, in the final round of the WVU student singing competition Sunday.

"I entered Mountaineer Idol for the experience and to show people what I have to offer," Whiteman said.

Whiteman said throughout the competition he has not only had a lot of fun, but he has learned to build confidence while performing on stage.

Of the five rounds, the contestant has performed "Time" by Pink Floyd, "Shakin" by Eddie Money, "Alright Now" by Free, "She's Country" by Jason Aldean, "Superstition" by Stevie Wonder and "Wanted Dead or Alive" by Bon Jovi.

Whiteman, who prefers artists like Alice in Chains and The Red Hot Chili Peppers, said a year ago, he would have never thought of doing something like Mountaineer Idol.

"I have always enjoyed singing, but only in the past year have I gotten the courage to sing in front of people," Whiteman said.

A native of Wiley Ford, W.V.a., Whiteman has dreamed of playing music and hopes to pursue a career in it after college.

Whitman said if he were to win the competition, he would use the prize money towards plans after graduation.

In the final round, each of the three contestants will choose a song already performed in the competition, a song never performed in the competition and a song chosen by the co-hosts.

Whiteman will be singing "Hard to Handle" by The Black Crowes, "Beast of Burden" by The Rolling Stones and is still deciding between "Shakin" by Eddie Money or "She's Country" by Jason Aldean.

Whiteman will sing as well as play guitar in the final elimination round.

The winner of the competition, sponsored by "American Idol" and Coca-Cola, will receive $1,000 and a spot to sing the National Anthem at a WVU men's basketball game.

Runner-up will receive $750, while third place will take home $250.

"If I were to win, I would be nervous about performing at the game," Whiteman said. "But if I could pull it off, that would be pretty awesome."

The round will take place Sunday in the Mountainlair Ballrooms at 3 p.m.

"It's always been a dream to play music for a living, and I'm going to keep working at it," Whiteman said.

Too cool for pool

Ted Tuel plays in a game of pool at the West Virginia University  Young  Life  hangout  

11:39 pm | See more