Some of the most popular posts on social media are personality quizzes.

a qr code for the 538 personality quiz

Scan this QR code to take the quiz!

We have all seen them, and we have probably all taken them. Taking a test that tells you about yourself is inherently enticing; we all like reading about ourselves. Whether it’s our Myers-Briggs Type, what Harry Potter house we would belong to or even what kind of pie we would be, we always assume that there is some merit to these tests, some sort of method behind the madness that will tell us a bit more about ourselves. How many times have you read the results to one of these quizzes and thought, “That sounds exactly like me?"

Last year, however, FiveThirtyEight.com found that most, if not all, personality quizzes are based on junk science. Basically, all the questions and results have no real rhyme or reason and they do not really tell us anything useful. There was, however, one that checked out.

Developed by Christopher Soto at Colby College in Maine, the Big Five test was based on real psychological research and gave real results. It tests people in five areas and places them on a scale from one to 100 for each one, not preset categories or groupings. FiveThirtyEight went one step further and divided each of those five categories into three subtraits. This test gives you scores for each subtrait and in each category. You can also compare your scores against others.

So if you have a friend or coworker who loves personality quizzes and always makes you take them, or if you are that person, give this one a try and compare scores that science says actually matter.

Culture Editor