Fuel rocks Schmitt’s Saloon, gets audience moving - The Daily Athenaeum: Arts & Entertainment

Fuel rocks Schmitt’s Saloon, gets audience moving

Posted: Tuesday, April 8, 2014 1:10 am

Popular rock band Fuel took time to stop by Schmitt’s Saloon and Davisson Brothers Music Hall Sunday night to rock out with an enthused audience.

Opening for Fuel was London-based rock band H2NY, also known as Halfway to New York. The venue couldn’t have chosen a better band to get the crowd hyped up.

Sam Burkley on vocals, Scott De Jongh on guitar, Martin Griffith on drums and vocals and Daniel Mount on bass have some serious talent. In March, the band played at the SXSW Music and Media festival in Austin, Texas, performing on the same stage as legends such as Lady Gaga, Big Freedia, Jay-Z and Kanye West.

H2NY’s current single, “Bleed,” was the highlight of their set. Griffith is definitely the secret gem of H2NY, wielding two drum sticks and a voice to blend perfectly with Burkley.

“The British guys (H2NY) were great,” said Cathy Myers, a Clarksburg resident. “They just had a great sound. Really great. I’d like to hear more from them someday.”

As great as H2NY was, their performance was the appetizer to the feast that is Fuel.

As technicians cleared and prepped for Fuel, there was a definite tension in the air. People started getting closer and closer.

Finally, the lights cut out. Camera lights flash, and four dark figures walk onstage.

Fuel is made up of Brett Scallions on lead vocals, Brad Stewart on bass, Andy Andersson on lead guitar and Shannon Boone on percussion.

“Puppet Strings,” Fuel’s latest album, recently held the No. 1 position on Billboard’s Top Hard Rock Album chart.

Scallions, despite an occasional forgotten lyric, managed to charm the timid audience into jumping and fist pumping. Though the “face” of the band, he was sure to point out Andersson’s incredible guitar skills.

My favorite part of the evening was Anderson’s guitar solo. He started blending the hard rock sound with blues and soul in a way I’ve never heard before.

“I thought he was fantastic,” said Jessilynn Lawson, a theater student at West Virginia University. “He was extremely talented and not too bad to look at. I can see him being a guitar legend in the near future.”

Another highlight of the evening was their song, “Yeah.” I tried to familiarize myself with as much of their work as I could before the show, and this song from their new album spoke to me the most.

If you’ve heard of Fuel before, it’s probably because of their single “Hemorrhage (In My Hands)” from 2000.

Although this was probably their most commercially successful single, the guys show no sign of slowing down anytime soon.

Schmitt’s Saloon proves time and time again to book bigger and better bands, and Fuel was just the fuel this music lover needed to have a great Sunday night.