poppy and daisy skincare

Inside Poppy & Daisy. Sarah Bond, daughter of the owner, is in the background.

If you’re struggling with your skin, you may not need to look any farther for skin care than right off High Street. 

Poppy & Daisy, a local skin care and beauty store, specializes in Korean beauty, a long-lasting trend in the westernized world that may provide you with everything you need to help your skin this winter.

Poppy & Daisy is a family-owned store that sources beauty and skin care products right out of Korea. After being open for only a couple of years, Poppy & Daisy already has a cult-like following in Morgantown.

Their top-selling products are the Advanced Snail 96 Mucin Power Essence and Honey Cera Cream, which often sell out due to high demand. Their products have a wide range in price, making some items very accessible.

“I love to use the Honey Cera cream for my face,” said WVU student Tatum Storey. “This face lotion is the best lotion I’ve ever used. The cream is really moist and keeps my face moisturized for a couple days.”

In the winter, your skin needs some extra tender love and care. This climate can be very harsh on the skin; it’s no surprise that a temperature of seven degrees does not provide the makings of happy skin. Fortunately, there are ways to combat dry skin by adding moisture that won’t break you out.

“For winter, right now, we suggest using a slightly longer routine, of course, because you’re going to be not as hydrated through the winter, so suggesting maybe five steps instead of three,” said Sarah Bond, daughter of Poppy & Daisy’s owner.

These skin care steps consist of toner, serum, cream and a mask when you’re dry. Simplifying your routine to just hydrating and cleansing could work, too, if you’re happy with your skin.

“I use the sheet masks in the winter to keep my skin hydrated,” said Morgantown resident Ivy Yost. “I have acne-prone skin, and I have found drying out my pores isn’t the route for me. Poppy & Daisy’s serums and sheet masks have clarified and brightened my skin complexion.”

Korean beauty is known globally for it’s innovative ingredients, specialization in skin care and unique packaging.

According to CNN, “The Korean beauty market is among the top 10 in the world, with an estimated worth of over 13.1 billion in sales in 2018, according to Mintel, a global market intelligence agency.”

Therefore, Korean beauty products need to be well-researched and developed in order to compete in a multi-billion dollar industry.

“Korean beauty has just been over there forever,” Bond said. “Parents have been teaching their kids, men or women to use sunscreen, use an essence every day, a toner, make sure you cleanse your face with specific products, and they’ve been doing this for years now, way before it was a trend.”

“I think the reason why it’s recently become a huge thing is probably the innovation and the really competitive market over there, so they have so many different companies,” Bond said.

Poppy & Daisy is hosting “Honey Skin and Hot Cocoa” on Feb. 10 where they’ll be focusing on a daytime skincare routine. This event will give you the inside scoop on how to achieve “honey skin.”