The myth of “the freshman 15” has a heavy truth behind it. Many freshmen are living away from home for the first time, and eating healthy while living in the dorms can be difficult.

WVU requires students living in dorms to have a meal plan, which can be expensive, so most students that have one are limited to only eating the options provided to them on campus. This can make it challenging to eat well and maintain a healthy weight in college.

“We have plans in place to promote healthier lifestyles and eating,” Whitley Warbel, the market specialist for WVU Dining said.

According to Warbel, many of WVU’s recipes come from Mindful Eating, a concept that says all recipes are 600 calories or less for the entire plate. Along with mindful recipes, WVU also offers simple servings which provide food prepared in a special kitchen that is free of the big-eight allergens.

WVU has an app called “Bite” that allows students to view all dining hall menus. This is valuable for students looking to plan out their meals in order to stay healthy.

Another resource WVU offers for students looking to eat healthier is on-campus dieticians.

Camilla Haught, a registered dietician at WVU, said there are many healthy options on campus that can sometimes be overlooked.

Haught noted how all dining halls provide at least four vegetables for lunch and dinner and a variety of fresh fruits at breakfast. She referred to the restaurants in the Mountainair and Evansdale Crossing as “fast-food” options and advised students to limit how often they eat there.

“Try and get to a grab-and-go location. At least there you can get soups and salads. That would be better,” Haught said.

For students who feel like they don’t have time to eat, Haught said, “They typically buy different items of snacks that they keep in their room, let’s see what we can buy healthy that can make a very quick and easy breakfast.”

Haught said to pay attention to where you shop and try to find fruits and vegetables as cheap as possible. She recommends buying things in season.

“At the end of the week, we want to look back at what we’ve had and have good balance,” Haught said. “What you are eating now is really going to affect you as you get older. It’s setting the stage for your health long-term.”

Haught wants students to know that she is a free resource on campus and that she provides free nutritional counseling to all WVU students. To get in contact with Haught, students can call her at 304-293-4053 or email her at ccmcmillen@mail.wvu.edu.

Assistant Culture Editor