In 2018, Spider-Man was featured a lot. From Tom Holland’s role in “Avengers: Infinity War,” to Insomniac Games’ Spider-Man game released on PlayStation 4 to Spider-Man’s biggest villain “Venom” getting its own movie starring Tom Hardy, 2018 truly was the year of our favorite web-head.

into the spider verse movie

Phil Lord and Christopher Miller, the creative minds behind The Lego Movie and 21 Jump Street, bring their unique talents to a fresh vision of a different Spider-Man Universe, with a groundbreaking visual style that's the first of its kind.

However, December brought us the best piece of Spider-Man content with “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse”.

Directed by Bob Persichetti, Peter Ramsay and Rodney Rothman, “Into the Spider-Verse” is an animated film following a new origin story of Spider-Man, however, this isn’t Peter Parker whose story we are following.

No, the story follows young Miles Morales (Shameik Moore) who is struggling to fit into his new school and just wants to go back to his old school with his old friends. One night after he sneaks out of his boarding school his life changes forever as he is bitten by a radioactive spider and gets new abilities he never dreamed about. The next night when trying to control his new abilities, he runs into the original Peter Parker Spider-Man (Jake Johnson) facing off against Kingpin (Liev Schreiber). Kingpin successfully defeats Spidey and goes through with his plan to open to other dimensions. This causes repercussions which allow other Spider-Men to come to Miles’ dimension. Now Miles, an alternate dimension Peter Parker, Spider-Gwen (Hailee Steinfeld), Peni Parker (Kimiko Glenn), Spider-Man Noir (Nicolas Cage) and Spider- Ham (John Mulaney) must work together to get back to their respected universes, or else they will fade away.

“Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse” is a beautiful looking film, as the animation is very unique and is quite frankly amazing to watch. If you have a chance to watch it in 3D, please do. The whole story of the film is a unique take on Miles Morales’ origin story that can please hardcore comic fans, but not be too intimidating to casual moviegoers.

“Into the Spider-Verse” is one of the best films of 2018 and is hands down the best animated film from 2018. Even if comic book movies aren’t your favorite, this is a film everyone can have fun with. The cast of voices are great, and the animation will keep you entertained. All in all, “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse” gets an A+.