It’s the most wonderful time of the year.

Christmas is the time for traditions; decorating the tree, making gingerbread houses, decorating the house, watching the Christmas special of “Saturday Night Live” and countless others. One of the best traditions you can do each Christmas season is watch all the great Christmas movies out there. Every year I watch as many movies as I can. Some of them are great and some are not so great. 

After heavy consideration, I have found five Christmas movies you should watch with the family this year.

“How The Grinch Stole Christmas” (2000)

Coming in at No. 5 is the live adaptation of Dr. Seuss’ classic story. The live action adaptation proves to be more entertaining than its cartoon counterpart, and Jim Carrey’s Grinch never fails to get a laugh out of anyone. The backstory of the Grinch is also a welcomed addition rather than the narrative “his heart was three times too small.” Make a night and watch this on Netflix right away.

“The Year Without a Santa Claus” (1974)

Originally a TV special on ABC, “The Year Without a Santa Claus” is a classic Christmas musical. The stop animation still holds up to this day. With memorable songs like “I’ll Have a Blue Christmas” and “Snow Miser” and “Heat Miser.” The songs are enough to get you in the Christmas spirit, but the thought of a Christmas without Santa Claus will keep you entertained.

“Elf” (2003) 

In what might be Will Ferrell’s most iconic role, he plays Buddy the Elf, who was left at an orphanage and accidentally ends up in the North Pole, where he is raised by elves. Buddy then learns his father is alive and is in New York City and travels to meet him. Since this is Will Ferrell there are never any dull moments in this movie. This could quite possibly be the best 21st century Christmas movie and one everyone should check out.

“Home Alone” (1990) 

Macaulay Culkin’s iconic role of Kevin McCallister is one of the many bright spots in this classic. The embodiment of a kid’s dream to be home alone in this movie mixes with laughs and many iconic lines. “Merry Christmas, ya filthy animal.” Kevin booby-trapping the house to protect his house from crooks shows that no one should ever underestimate the power of kids.

“National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation” (1989)

The quintessential Christmas movie is “Christmas Vacation.” This movie puts you in the Christmas spirit as soon as the opening title starts. Chevy Chase is as quippy as ever in a movie that will make you laugh with every other line. “Christmas Vacation” shows that while everything might not go as planned, the fact that you have a family, as quirky as they seem, will make your Christmas truly special.