W.Va. Water Festival comes to Morgantown - The Daily Athenaeum: Morgantown

W.Va. Water Festival comes to Morgantown

Posted: Friday, October 4, 2013 12:19 am

Morgantown’s first annual West Virginia Water Festival will celebrate the importance of water and all it does for the community.

The event will be hosted by Friends of Deckers Creek, the Board of Park and Recreation Commissioners (BOPARC), the Morgantown History Museum and the Monongahela River Town

Program.

The festival’s events will run Saturday from 11 a.m. - 4 p.m. at Hazel Ruby McQuain Riverfront Park. Admission is free.

Although it is obvious water is a vital resource to sustain life, many are unaware of other ways water contributes to the life of the Morgantown community.

“What the community may not know is the role water has played throughout our history and today for transportation and commerce,” said Elizabeth Wiles, executive director of Friends of Deckers Creek. “In fact, rivers and other waterways used to be the only means of travelling for millennia. Also the recreational opportunities that rivers, creeks and lakes offer today

(is vital).”

The Morgantown community, as well as West Virginia University students, are encouraged to participate in the variety of educational activities and

exhibits.

All activities are provided by local organizations including the Morgantown Fire Department, Friends of Deckers Creek, Morgantown Utility Board, Pathfinder and Cacapon Institute.

Those who attend the event will have the opportunity to learn about water quality monitoring efforts throughout the Monongahela River Watershed.

In addition to a great educational experience for Morgantown residents of all ages, the Water Festival will also feature live music performances Saturday from Subway, The Jenny Wilson Trio, The Greens and Soup

Camel.

“People need to understand how this critical natural resource affects our planet and our lives. They need to learn how they can contribute to its wise use and protection,” Wiles said. “The Water Festival will be an opportunity for the community to participate in fun, hands-on activities and discover the different kinds of jobs and careers available for those who love

water.”

For more information on the West Virginia Water Festival in Morgantown, visit http://www.tourmorgantown.com/calendar.