More than two months after a fall on fraternity steps, WVU student David Rusko remains in an intensive care unit. 

David Rusko

David Rusko arrived at the Shepherd Center in Atlanta, Georgia, in late December.

He is being treated at the Shepherd Center in Georgia and is a part of Shepherd Center’s Disorders of Consciousness program.

The program provides specialized services for people in low-level states of consciousness caused by brain injury, according to a Shepherd Center press release.

David Rusko, a senior finance student from Uniontown, Pennsylvania, who was set to graduate in May, fell down the steps at the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity house while visiting his fraternity brothers on Nov. 10, according to a Nov. 15 WVU press release.

Officers discovered that more than two hours lapsed between Rusko’s fall and a 911 call for help, according to the release.

WVU announced on Tuesday that three students had agreed to a permanent separation from WVU after an investigation into a Rusko’s fall and that about 15 students have agreed to other disciplinary actions.

“Me and my wife and other family members, we took turns — we can only have so many people back there — so we took turns going into his room,” Dave Rusko, David Rusko’s father, said during a December interview. 

Dave Rusko said he hopes his son will one day finish his education at WVU.

“He loved West Virginia University,” he said. “He just loved it there. We’re just thankful that he’s still alive. We’ll just hope for the best.”

Douglas Soule is the editor-in-chief for the Daily Athenaeum. He previously served as assistant news editor at the Daily Athenaeum. He has interned at the Charleston Gazette-Mail and the Daily Athenaeum. He is a junior at WVU.