WVU is asking that any undergraduate students, graduate students or any faculty members experiencing financial hardship due to the partial government shutdown contact the University to make possible arrangements for payments.

Last week, Provost Joyce McConnell sent an email to WVU faculty urging members to direct students who may be affected by the government shutdown to the Mountaineer HUB or to the Office of Graduate Education and Life.

Undergraduate students should contact the WVU HUB at 304-293-1988.

Graduate students should contact the Office of Graduate Education and Life at 304-293-7173 or email katherine.karraker@mail.wvu.edu

Faculty should contact the Provost’s office.

“We are aware that some members are now being impacted financially by the current shutdown of parts of the federal government,” McConnell wrote in the email. “As always, we want to support our Mountaineer family.”

Katherine Karraker, associate provost for Graduate Academic Affairs, wrote in an email Wednesday that, so far, no graduate students had contacted her yet about assistance, except for a student concerned about a delay in a federal loan.

Adam Minsky, an attorney and contributor to Forbes, wrote in a December 2018 article that federal student loans should largely be unaffected by the partial government shutdown.

“[W]hen it comes to things like processing your payments, sending you notices and reviewing applications for deferments or income-driven repayment, we shouldn’t see any major impacts as a result of the shutdown,” Minsky wrote.

At the bottom of the email from McConnell, she added that any concern regarding the shutdown can be directed to the Provost’s office.

“All of us at West Virginia University are committed to helping those affected by this shutdown,” she wrote. “If you know of other situations not addressed in this email with which our office could help, please send an email directly to provost@mail.wvu.edu articulating the specifics.”

Joe Severino is a senior Journalism major from Elkins, West Virginia. He is the News Editor for The Daily Athenaeum and interned with the Charleston Gazette-Mail summer 2018.