The importance of staying informed - The Daily Athenaeum: Opinion

The importance of staying informed

Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 11:59 pm

Most of us have heard about the Ferguson riots and the rising issue of police brutality. Some know little to nothing about the situation and what it’s brought to the media and the country.

Images and videos are clogging up social media sites and news channels. Protesters and journalists were getting arrested left and right, while a curfew was briefly put into effect. Hedy Epstein, a 90-year-old Holocaust survivor was arrested while protesting Governor Jay Nixon’s mobilization of the National Guard. Wesley Lowery, a Washington Post journalist, was arrested in a McDonald’s while covering the riots.

Ferguson Mayor James Knowles said, “Let’s have a night that we can completely separate those good people exercising their First Amendment rights from those who are trying to co-opt this horrible situation into something to meet their own needs,” in a television interview a couple weeks ago. More simply put, violent acts won’t help the issue of violence.

So what’s to come of this? Just because Missouri is a few states away, doesn’t mean we should brush off this tragic story that could have occured anywhere. With the hustle and bustle of the night life in Morgantown, who’s to say it couldn’t have happened here?

The shooting in Ferguson has had an effect on the entire country. President Obama has wieghed in, and it’s being broadcast all over the world.

For those of you out of the loop, take a quick glance and get informed. Student Body President Chris Nyden said he believes the place to change things is right here, on college campuses. After all, we are the future leaders of the country.

Although issues like these are of grave importance, we strongly encourage members of our community to form their own decisions on the matter. Don’t get swept up in the mob mentality of rumors and misinformation.