A third arrest was made Friday in connection with a hazing incident within the West Virginia University chapter of the Phi Kappa Psi fraternity.

A 19-year-old Phi Kappa Psi pledge and WVU student was allegedly injured during a hazing incident Nov. 15, in which involved multiple fraternity brothers assaulting the victim while he was participating in initiation at the fraternity. The victim told police he suffered a concussion and also required stitches on his chin.

The fraternity has since been suspended from campus, two arrests have been made and the MPD is continuing its investigation.

While we applaud WVU, the fraternity’s national chapter and the Morgantown Police Department for their continued efforts and for investigating the incident, something has to change.

Bob Campione, interim director of Student Organization Services, said all pledges are required to attend an anti-hazing session prior to beginning their pledging processes.

During this session, each pledge is taught the negative effects of hazing and the repercussions when hazing occurs. All attendees sign an agreement stating they understand and agree to abide by the state laws against hazing as well as University policies.

Universities all across the country have similar practices, as well.

But yet, incidents at WVU and across the nation still arise.

These types of incidents are bringing a negative image to innocent groups and their universities as a whole.

And it’s not just limited to Greek life. Hazing occurs within athletics and other student organizations at colleges everywhere.

Campione and Evan McIntyre, newly-elected Inter-Fraternity Council president, said WVU and the IFC have a zero-tolerance policy for hazing.

“Hazing is one of those things that is becoming zero tolerance. If you get caught hazing someone, you’re done – no more active chapter,” McIntyre said. “From here on out, the University is not going to put up with it, and the IFC is not going to put up with (it).”

We challenge WVU and the IFC to maintain their word. We challenge them to consider new preventative measures to put an end to hazing.

No student should be hazed in any fashion just to become part of a brotherhood, sisterhood or any other group on campus.

That completely undermines what these organizations stand for.