The West Virginia Senate unanimously passed a free community and technical college bill on Thursday. While the bill would still need to pass the House and get signed by the governor, it’s a big step for the state’s youth.

pee in a cup for a drug test

This isn’t apple juice.

West Virginia has a graduation rate of 90 percent, according to the state Department of Education. West Virginia also has the nation’s fourth-worst poverty rate, according to PolitiFact. These factors combine to highlight why post-secondary assistance for West Virginians is certainly nothing to frown about.

One of the eligibility requirements for the program is that those enrolled must pay for and pass drug tests before each semester. This is not a requirement for the Promise Scholarship, which provides $4,750 per year at eligible institutions.

Only 3 percent of those who have the Promise Scholarship went to public community colleges in 2016-17, according to the Charleston Gazette-Mail.

It is not fair that those receiving assistance for community and technical school have to take a drug test while those who go to larger schools with the Promise Scholarship do not. It indicates a bias by those in the legislature against those who choose to advance their careers through community and technical college.

Peeing in a cup should not be an eligibility requirement. Besides, should smoking marijuana really eliminate a student from the opportunities created by this bill?