FallFest 2015

2015: $381,067

ScHoolboy Q, The Chainsmokers and the Eli Young Band

A 2012 article in The New York Times written by Todd and Victoria Buchholz said that young American adults are part of a “go-nowhere generation.” What they mean by this is that young Americans are stagnant and unmotivated.

When the article was written in 2012 the unemployment rate was 8.3 percent, and the article uses this statistic as a negative against young adults, also known as millennials and Generation Z.

The unemployment rate decreased since 2010. It is currently less than 4 percent, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Young people who are lazy usually don’t go out and get jobs, so if millennials are really the “go-nowhere generation,” wouldn’t the unemployment rate be rising?

An article written for The Atlantic called “Generation Stuck: Why Don’t Young People Move, Anymore?” states that young people are “reluctant to move cities where they might be better off.” But if young Americans all moved to cities then urbanization would be a huge problem.

The thing is, urban growth is already a huge problem both nationally and globally. According to National Geographic, intense urbanization can lead to more poverty, air pollution, environmental hazards and large volumes of uncollected waste.

Some of the most populated cities according to The Jakarta Post are New York City in the U.S. and Tokyo in Japan. These cities also happen to be very polluted and have lots of poverty.

Therefore, the decreasing migration rates talked about in the article in The Atlantic aren’t necessarily a bad thing like the writer depicts. Those categorized as millennials and Generation Z are simply contributing to the decline in intensive urbanization.

Erika Anderson, a writer for Forbes, claims in her article “How Millennials Will Save The World, Part I” that millennials are so unlike the stereotypes they are given. She uses a statistic that half of millennials in the workforce hold leadership positions, while past generations at the age that millennials are now only held junior-level positions.

Mark Zuckerberg was only 21 when he invented Facebook. Blake Ross was 17 when he made Mozilla Firefox. Evan Spiegel was only 21 when he invented Snapchat with his 23-year-old fraternity brother, Bobby Murphy.

Some of the most influential parts of so many people’s lives were invented by young adults. If you were to ask me I would call us the “go-somewhere generation.”