Esa Ahmad Wesley Harris Villanova

March 23, 2018; West Virginia forwards Esa Ahmad and Wesley Harris hang their heads in sadness after losing to Villanova in the Sweet 16 90-78.

According to a release sent out by the WVU athletic department on Monday, forwards Esa Ahmad and Wesley Harris have been dismissed from the men's basketball team due to a violation of athletic department policy.

Ahmad, a senior, has played in 23 games this season, averaging 12 points and 5.8 rebounds per game. Harris, a junior, has played in 22 games. At the time of his dismissal, Harris was averaging 7.9 points and 4.8 rebounds per game.

Both Ahmad and Harris were often members of the starting rotation, with Ahmad starting in 22 games and Harris starting in 17. Prior to their removals from the team, Ahmad and Harris led the Mountaineers in minutes, averaging 28.1 and 25.2 minutes per game, respectively.

Prior to dismissal, Ahmad was suspended for the first 15 games of the 2017-18 season after not meeting NCAA eligibility requirements.

Harris also had disciplinary issues. After a loss to Texas Tech in the 2017-18 season, Harris threw a punch towards an opposing fan who had rushed the court and was reprimanded by the Big 12 Conference. In July, Harris was arrested and faced battery and destruction of property charges after a road rage altercation on Jones Avenue in Morgantown.

Ahmad's and Harris' dismissal joins the losses of forward Sagaba Konate and guard Beetle Bolden due to injury. The Mountaineers have lost their top three leading scorers.