Holgorsen emphasizes communication - The Daily Athenaeum: Sports

Holgorsen emphasizes communication

Posted: Wednesday, April 9, 2014 1:23 am

The West Virginia football team held another open practice Saturday afternoon at the University of Charleston Stadium in the state capital.

After open practices in Wheeling and Morgantown, WVU displayed its new brand product to fans and viewers in Charleston. After doing the Oklahoma Drill, along with working on individual drills, head coach Dana Holgorsen worked with the team to get ready for the annual Gold-Blue Spring game Saturday.

“We still have a long way to go,” Holgorsen said in an interview with WVUsports.com.

“It’s 10 practices in, there’s five more left. This is where we can get a lot of live reps in. I’ve been happy with the guys’ energy. They have been excited about practicing, and it seems like they are having a good time and trying to push their teammates to get better. I am also happy with the cohesion on the coaching staff, as well.”

Holgorsen said there weren’t any injuries to report, and he likes what he’s seen offensively and defensively from his squad up to this point of spring football.

With the quarterback position, Holgorsen said he’s taking in what he sees with the communication factor, similar to the previous years during this time.

“I don’t even have to look at (senior quarterback) Paul Millard. I can just shoot him a look or a signal, and he knows because he’s done it for four years,” Holgorsen said. “(Senior quarterback) Logan Moore is new at it and so is (sophomore transfer quarterback) Skyler Howard, which is frustrating.

“I’m also always looking out of the corner of my eye and pay attention to (senior quarterback) Clint Trickett. He’s always behind everybody, taking everything in and signaling. Probably around Sept. 1, I will feel better about where Skyler (Howard) is – it just takes time.”

Offensive coordinator Shannon Dawson addressed the quarterbacks’ performances at the conclusion of practice.

“I thought we got caught with the ball a couple times. Just put the ball in play. You’re standing back there, and you’ve got to have a clock in your head, especially when you get the ball down here in the redzone. You don’t want to go backward. You don’t want to be taken out of field goal range. That frustrates me more than anything,” he said.

Dawson, however, said he thinks the offense will be better suited for Big 12 Conference play in the 2014-15 season.

“I think as far as offense all-around, we’re more suited,” he said. “We’re deeper. We’ve got some experienced guys (who) have played.

“With experience, I think we are ready. There is one key factor – the quarterback has to perform well. We’re going to put someone in there (who) can do it. I’m not saying anything positive or negative about any of those guys. That’s just the fact of the matter.”