Holgorsen, staff sign 22 athletes on National Signing Day - The Daily Athenaeum: Sports

Holgorsen, staff sign 22 athletes on National Signing Day

Posted: Thursday, February 6, 2014 1:09 am | Updated: 1:10 am, Thu Feb 6, 2014.

West Virginia football head coach Dana Holgorsen signed 22 prospective athletes to letters of intent on National Signing Day Wednesday.

In total, WVU added 12 offensive players and nine defensive players to its roster.

“Overall, it’s a pretty exciting day,” Holgorsen said. “It’s been a successful day.”

The marquee signees of the class offensively are quarterback William Crest (Dunbar High School – Baltimore, Md.) and running back Donte Thomas-Williams (Hillside High School – Durham, N.C.).

Crest is a four-star passer and the seventh best dual-threat quarterback nationally according to rivals.com. He threw for 2,232 yards, rushed for 672 yards and scored 25 touchdowns as a high school senior. Crest also led Dunbar to two state championships.

“William (Crest) has been a target for quite some time,” Holgorsen said. “He’s a very eager guy. He’s bright-eyed, he smiles, and he lights up the room. People are drawn to him, and his skill set is good.”

Thomas-Williams remained uncommitted until signing day. In a ceremony at his high school, he finally pledged his commitment to WVU.

Thomas-Williams is a Rivals.com four-star running back. He rushed for 2,400 yards and 24 touchdowns during his senior year. He selected WVU instead of NC State, Clemson, Florida State and South Carolina.

“(Thomas-Williams) is an every down back. He can catch it as well as he can run, and he carries his weight good for a young kid,” said JaJuan Seider, WVU running backs coach.

Defensively, a trio of cornerbacks gives West Virginia potential in the secondary. Dravon Henry (Aliquippa High School – Aliquippa, Pa.), rated as the No. 2 player from Pennsylvania by rivals.com, had offers from 25 other schools including Alabama, Baylor, Florida State and Pitt.

“Being able to get Dravon (Henry), who is one of the better players in the Northeast, in Pittsburgh and Pennsylvania, gives us a lot of good things,” Holgorsen said.

Junior college corners Keishawn Richardson (Northeastern Oklahoma A&M) and Jaylon Myers (Hutchinson CC) also give WVU immediate help.

The Mountaineers already have seven of the 22 signees on campus. Richardson, quarterback Skyler Howard (Riverside City College), receiver Ricky Rodgers (Gateway High School – Monroeville, Pa.), offensive tackle Sylvester Townes (Coahoma CC), as well as linebackers Davonte James (Springfield High School – Springfield, Ohio) and Edward Muldrow (Copiah-Lincoln CC) are enrolled and will participate in spring football.

The seventh recruit is Pitt transfer running back Rushel Shell. After a fall semester without scholarship, Holgorsen put Shell on scholarship in January, making Shell part of the 2014 recruiting class.

In total, WVU signed 22 players from 11 different states. The state of Florida led the way with five Mountaineer signees.