WVU finishes first at PSU Nationals - The Daily Athenaeum: Sports

WVU finishes first at PSU Nationals

Posted: Tuesday, October 22, 2013 12:50 am | Updated: 2:35 am, Tue Oct 22, 2013.

The West Virginia cross country team placed first out of 28 total teams on the Penn State University’s Blue/White Golf Course for the PSU Nationals Friday afternoon. WVU claimed four out of the top five spots in the event to run an average time of 21:41, and Lehigh finished second with an average of 22:19.

“I am pleased with our decision to run at this meet this weekend,” said head coach Sean Cleary. “This group handled the stresses presented to them over the last few weeks remarkably well.”

Sophomore Chesterland, Ohio, native Kelly Williams crossed the finish line first for the Mountaineers to place second overall with a time of 21:22. Williams’ time at PSU is only two seconds shorter than her personal-best time she set last season at the Mid-Atlantic Regional.

Bloomberg’s senior Victoria Davis placed first overall (21:16) aiding her team to a fifth place finish for the event.

Freshman Jillian Forsey finished closely behind Williams to claim third place (21:23), while senior runner Sara Martinelli claimed fourth place (21:30). Savanna Plombon would round off the top for the Mountaineers by finishing fifth with a 21:47 time.

Freshmen Paige Szabat and Peyton Hampson finished 14th (22:19) and 31st (22:52), senior Allison Pettit capped off a first-place for the Mountaineers by placing 40th overall with a 23:30 time.

“We look to get a little fitter and a lot fresher over the next month. This is a good sign that we are still improving and hold our destiny in our hands,” Cleary said.

The PSU Nationals race served as the tune up for the Mountaineers before they have to compete in the Big 12 Championships in Waco, Texas. WVU will return to the Championships looking to improve its fourth place finish from last year.