Lambert ready for strong 2014 - The Daily Athenaeum: Sports

Lambert ready for strong 2014

Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2014 6:45 am

In the annual Gold-Blue Spring Game, West Virginia redshirt sophomore kicker Josh Lambert made his presence known.

Capped off by a 53-yard field goal, Lambert continued his consistent play after a strong spring. The Garland, Texas, native, said his range can go even further than what everyone saw April 12.

“I’ve gotten a lot stronger, and I’ve been doing a lot of yoga in the offseason, which has helped a lot,” Lambert said. “It’s made me more flexible. During pregame today, I hit a 60-yarder. On from that point it’s hit or miss, but given the right conditions, I can hit 60.”

Besides doing yoga, which was recommended by Mike Joseph, the director of strength and conditioning, Lambert said not much has changed since the 2013-14 season until now.

“Nothing has changed. Everyone is still the same. My job is still the same. I don’t get nervous anymore, so that’s different,” Lambert said.

As summer workouts approach, the team will continue to lift weights and do more yoga. Being healthy will be important in terms of the team’s progression, but Lambert and the team should be ready to go in August.

The 2013 season was a productive time for Lambert. As the team’s leading scorer with 86 points and having connected on 17-of-23 field goals, including a long field goal of 50 yards at Kansas State, this aspect of special teams wasn’t a concern for WVU head coach Dana Holgorsen.

In the 2013 season, Lambert hit his last 13 of 15 attempts. He converted on his last 10 attempts and was unsuccessful on only one extra point.

After his performance at TCU, Lambert was named WVU and Big 12 Special Teams Player of the Week. In that game, the redshirt sophomore converted on field goals of 24 yards, 42 yards and the game-winning 34-yard field goal.

Lambert was No. 4 in the Big 12 Conference and No. 13 nationally in field goals made per game. He was No. 7 in the Big 12 scoring for kickers and No. 8 in Big 12 scoring. With a 73.9 percentage, Lambert finished No. 6 in the league in field goal percentage.

As the Mountaineers get ready for summer workouts prior to their opening game against SEC power Alabama in August, Lambert’s productivity has been important for West Virginia this spring.