WVU set for conference game against Texas Sunday - The Daily Athenaeum: Sports

WVU set for conference game against Texas Sunday

Posted: Friday, January 10, 2014 1:08 am | Updated: 1:11 am, Fri Jan 10, 2014.

The West Virginia women’s basketball team will look to get back to its winning ways this weekend, facing Texas at home Sunday, Jan. 12 at noon.

The Mountaineers (13-2, 2-1) snapped a 13-game win streak last Wednesday against Baylor, losing 78-62 behind Odyssey Sims who scored a career-high 48 points to lead the Lady Bears.

Her 48 points broke a WVU Coliseum record for most points by an individual in a single game – men’s or women’s. The previous record was 47 points, set by Notre Dame’s Austin Carr in 1971.

“I thought we played better in the second half,” coach Mike Carey said of the loss. “We came out in the first half and weren’t ready to play. We were scared, I don’t know what it was. We just were standing around. Second half, I thought we played better.

“Needless to say, Sims had 48 – amazing to me. We tried to trap her, we tried to show, but the bottom line is we didn’t guard her. We cut it to 10, we cut it to nine and then we quit playing hard again. That team plays hard for 40 minutes. Sims is a great player.”

Despite being one of the best defensive teams in the Big 12 Conference, Baylor shot nearly 46 percent from the field in the first half and made five 3-pointers. The Mountaineers shot only 24 percent from 3-point land in the first 30 minutes. WVU finished the night shooting just 32.8 percent, a season low, while the Bears offense shot 45.5 percent.

Senior center Asya Bussie lead the way for the Mountaineers with 17 points.

“I just feel like we came out really slow,” Bussie said. “We played catch up the whole game.”

WVU will welcome a Texas team that is coming off a 79-74 overtime victory over the Oklahoma Sooners. The win improved the Longhorns’ record to 11-4 on the season and 2-1 in conference play.

Mountaineer senior guard Christal Caldwell will look to get back on track after registering 0 points on Wednesday against Baylor. The streak ended a 43-game span of registering at least one point.

“I think we’ll bounce back,” Bussie said. “After losses, you have to refocus and figure out what you did wrong and work on those things in practice. We can’t sit and pout about this loss because it will affect our next game. We just have to focus on Texas.”