WVU gets strong recruiting class - The Daily Athenaeum: Sports

WVU gets strong recruiting class

Posted: Monday, January 27, 2014 10:53 pm | Updated: 10:54 pm, Mon Jan 27, 2014.

With National Signing Day quickly approaching, West Virginia’s football program holds commitments from several elite prospects.

Feb. 5 serves as the day recruits make their college decisions official by signing letters of intent to the school of their choice.

The day serves as a milestone for prospects and their families and a day of nerves and anxiety for coaching staffs.

14 recruits have committed to West Virginia, with an additional six signed and enrolled in classes.

Headlining West Virginia’s 2014 class is four-star athlete Dravon Henry and four-star quarterback William Crest.

Henry, the No. 11 athlete in the nation, could provide immediate help in a struggling secondary. The Aliquippa, Pa., native will likely make the biggest impact at safety but could also be in the mix for playing time on offense.

In his senior year, Henry tallied three interceptions, returning two for scores. He added 1,260 yards rushing, with 23 touchdowns.

Henry committed to the Mountaineers over rival Pittsburgh.

Crest, a dual-threat quarterback from Baltimore, figures to be a contender in the quarterback battle this summer. With the recent success of fast-paced spread offenses, Crest could add a new dynamic to West Virginia’s playbook.

The Mountaineers add a second dual-threat quarterback in Skyler Howard.

Howard, the former three-star prospect from Riverside Community College, completed nearly 70 percent of his passes in 2013, with 3,151 passing yards and 33 touchdowns. He possesses the innate ability to extend plays with his feet and will be given an opportunity to compete for the starting job.

WVU head coach Dana Holgorsen and his staff will anxiously await signatures from two four-star receivers in Jacob McCrary and Lamar Parker.

The duo from Miami committed to West Virginia on the same date, and both figure to be a lock to follow through with their commitments.

Parker is a speedster with the ability to score on any play. At 5-foot-8 and 155 pounds, Parker will likely make the biggest contribution at slot receiver.

The big-play receiver has drawn comparisons to former Mountaineer great Tavon Austin and could see time as a return specialist.

McCrary, who stands at 6 feet and 183 pounds, is more of a well-rounded receiver. Look for West Virginia to try to get the ball in his hands from a variety of skill positions.

The Mountaineers are waiting for a decision by four-star running back Donte Thomas-Williams.

West Virginia has yet to secure a commitment from a running back in this year’s class, and it’s no secret that Holgorsen and staff want Thomas-Williams badly.

If the Mountaineers can sign all 14 commits and targets, the 2014 class could potentially make a significant impact next fall and add much-needed depth.

West Virginia currently boasts the No. 38 class in the nation.