No. 20 West Virginia hosts Iowa State Wednesday night - The Daily Athenaeum: Sports

No. 20 West Virginia hosts Iowa State Wednesday night

Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 11:49 pm

The No. 20 West Virginia women’s basketball team will look to get back on the winning track Wednesday as they face the No. 23 Iowa State Cyclones at 7 p.m. at the WVU Coliseum.

The two teams faced off Jan. 15 in Ames, Iowa, with the Mountaineers winning in dominating fashion, 73-59. The victory was WVU’s second win over a ranked opponent this season.

Linda Stepney led the way for the Mountaineers, scoring 16 points, grabbing seven rebounds and dishing out six assists. ISU’s Hallie Chrisofferson scored 21 points with five rebounds.

WVU is 3-1 all-time against the Cyclones.

Despite going 1-1 last week on the road, WVU still remains in the Top-25 in both major polls. In the Associated Press Poll, the Mountaineers dropped from No. 18 to No. 20 this week and went from No. 21 to No. 24 in the USA Today Coaches Poll.

The Mountaineers are currently 17-3 overall and a half game back of the Big 12 Conference lead at 6-2. WVU’s undefeated road record was snapped Saturday at the hands of the Texas Longhorns, losing 66-63.

“Texas played harder than we did in the first half,” said WVU head coach Mike Carey. “We stood around, and it cost us down the stretch. We had opportunities and took some bad shots. Give them a lot of credit. They played hard.”

The Cyclones are 15-4 on the season and 4-4 in Big 12 play, which includes an impressive 82-75 overtime victory over then-No. 25 Oklahoma. Iowa State has the third- best offense in the conference, scoring nearly 77 points per contest.

Four ISU players average scoring numbers in the double digits, with Chrisofferson leading the way with 19.7 points and 16.9 points in Big 12 games. As a team, Iowa State leads the league in 3-point attempts at 8.6 per game. Nicole Blaskowsky leads the team with 42 made 3s on the season, while Brynn Williamson has 39. At 50 percent, freshman guard Jadda Buckley leads all ISU players in 3-point percentage, and she also leads the conference in free throw shooting, making 90.1 percent of her attempts.

Iowa State shoots 81.9 percent from the free throw line in Big 12 play, which is tops in the conference. In strictly Big 12 games, Buckley is nearly automatic from the free throw line – shooting 93.1 percent. Chrisofferson and Williamson make up the second and third highest free throw percentages, with 83 percent and 92 percent, respectively.

WVU is 2-1 against top-25 teams this season.