No. 7 West Virginia set to take on Kansas Jayhawks with Big 12 title hopes in reach - The Daily Athenaeum: Sports

No. 7 West Virginia set to take on Kansas Jayhawks with Big 12 title hopes in reach

Posted: Tuesday, March 4, 2014 2:44 am

The No. 7 West Virginia women’s basketball team will close out its regular season schedule at home tonight against the Kansas Jayhawks at 7.

There are five seniors on this year’s team – Asya Bussie, Christal Caldwell, Brooke Hampton, Jess Harlee and Taylor Palmer – all who will be recognized prior to tonight’s tip off.

WVU is coming off its best win of the season with a 71-69 road victory over No. 6 Baylor. With the win, the Mountaineers are in contention for a share of the Big 12 regular season title. Both Baylor and West Virginia are 15-2 in conference play with one game remaining.

“I’m very proud of the team. It was a great win,” said West Virginia head coach Mike Carey. “I’ve said it for the last two days. We just needed to keep it close at the end of the game.”

WVU was led by Bussie, who scored 21 points while grabbing five rebounds and blocking three shots. Bria Holmes chipped in with 12 points, including going 3-for-4 from 3-point range.

“I’m so happy for these young ladies,” Carey said. “These girls understand what it takes to win at this level. Your whole career, you want to win a championship, and we’re right there if we can win (these next few games).”

Kansas, who also upset Baylor earlier in the season, dropped four straight games and are coming off an 87-79 loss against Iowa State. The Jayhawks are led by junior forward Chelsea Gardner, who averages 16.8 points per game.

“I hate to be the downer, but we have to play (well) against Kansas,” Carey said. “It’s a quick turnaround in two days. The (Baylor win) means nothing if we can’t win that game.”

WVU trails 3-2 in the series all-time, dating back to December 1992.

Hustle and Bustle

Students pass in front of the Mountainlair during a class change

12:36 am | See more