West Virginia to take on No. 13 Iowa State - The Daily Athenaeum: Sports

West Virginia to take on No. 13 Iowa State

Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2014 11:02 pm

The West Virginia women’s basketball team will continue a tough stretch of play as they prepare to take on No. 13 Iowa State tonight at 8 at the Hilton Coliseum in Ames, Iowa.

The Cyclones will be the third team in the last four games that sit in the top three of the Big 12 Conference. Head coach Mike Carey’s squad has been resilient the past few weeks, picking up wins against Oklahoma State and Kansas.

“Iowa State shoots a bunch of 3s,” said WVU head coach Mike Carey. “Our guards are really going to have to do a good job and rebound well and get into the paint.”

The Mountaineers’ most recent win came against the Texas Longhorns Sunday afternoon. After trailing for most of the fourth quarter, Bria Holmes sunk a clutch 3-pointer to send her team into overtime where the Mountaineers pulled off a thrilling 56-49 victory. Senior guard Christal Caldwell and junior forward Averee Fields led the Mountaineers with 12 points each.

This season, the Cyclones own an 8-1 record at home. Their 14-game win streak recently came to an end with a 69-62 loss to Oklahoma State Saturday. ISU’s head coach, Bill Fennelly, has guided his team to 14-1 record so far in the season.

The Cyclones average 79.1 points per game, while holding the opposing team to 57.7. Fennelly’s squad holds several league-leading stats- his team averages 9.9 threes per game and is 78.6 from the charity stripe.

Senior forward Hallie Christofferson is the second leading scorer in the Big 12, behind Baylor’s Odyssey Sims. The last time the Mountaineers faced a scoring threat like Sims, she went off for a WVU Coliseum record 48 points. Christofferson averages 21.0 points per game and is the second leading rebounder on her team with 7.9 boards per game.

Christofferson’s teammate freshman standout Seanna Johnson leads the Big 12 with 8.5 rebounds per game.

Photo of the Day

Ronald  McDonald takes a selfie with a student in  the  Mountainlair

10:51 pm | See more