Communication improves for WVU as Texas Tech awaits - The Daily Athenaeum: Football

Communication improves for WVU as Texas Tech awaits

Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2013 1:37 am

While the quarterback situation for Saturday against No. 16 Texas Tech remains uncertain, redshirt junior Clint Trickett improved from a communication standpoint during the bye week.

Offensive coordinator Shannon Dawson and head coach Dana Holgorsen have switched things up in order to make sure the injured quarterback can get accustomed to this offense.

“(The communication) is doing better,” Dawson said. “We’ve done some things on our part to clear things up. It’s gotten better. We’ve switched some things up (and)  that’s helped.”

Trickett had issues with communication with Holgorsen and signals in past games, including the upset win over then-No. 11 Oklahoma State. Against Baylor, Trickett suffered an injury which limited his play, but he’s been able to recuperate with the added rest.

Whoever starts at the quarterback position Saturday will be able to lean on receivers who will be well-rested and ready to upset an undefeated Red Raiders team – the same Red Raiders team that was able to give West Virginia its first loss in the 2012 season.

“An extra week of practice definitely helps out,” said junior quarterback Paul Millard. “Any time you can get out there and get reps, it helps out with the timing of the receivers. We’re just looking forward to playing Saturday and going out there and giving it our all. We look at it as a new season. We’re looking to do better this half of the season.

“It’s a complete reversal of last year. We’re looking forward to playing Saturday and hopefully doing what they did to us last year.”

Communication is an important part of football, and in terms of this offense and new quarterbacks and wide receivers adjusting to a new style of play, it’s essential that whoever starts at QB against the Red Raiders will need to have a positive mindset. Through six games, each quarterback has won a game and then lost the following week.

“You have to stay positive with every situation,” Millard said. “We all get along well – all three of us do. Whoever is in there at the time, we want to see that person succeed.”

Redshirt sophomore wide receiver KJ Myers also said he feels  communication has gotten better over the last couple weeks between the quarterback and the receiving group.

“Communication has gotten way better,” he said. “We’re getting on the same page more and more. We’re really stressing communication. All 11 have to be on the same page out there. One man not on the same page; the play is over. We did improve that.”

With six games remaining in the 2013 season, communication will be a key storyline to follow between the quarterbacks, receivers and coaching staff moving forward.

Too cool for pool

Ted Tuel plays in a game of pool at the West Virginia University  Young  Life  hangout  

11:39 pm | See more