Sims a consistent threat for WVU - The Daily Athenaeum: Football

Sims a consistent threat for WVU

Posted: Wednesday, November 6, 2013 1:36 am

In Saturday’s overtime victory over TCU, the West Virginia football team did some good things, but also some things that made you scratch your head.

The one constant you will get with the Mountaineers this season will be running back Charles Sims’ production. The NFL prospect had a whopping 154 yards on the ground leading WVU to a 30-27 victory over the Horned Frogs.

On one drive in the second quarter, a struggling West Virginia offense needed just three plays to score and bring the Mountaineers within striking distance once again at 17-10. Sims, who rushed for 60 yards in two out of the three plays, capped off the sequence with a 31-yard rush for the score.

Besides his stellar running ability, Sims also caught a touchdown pass from redshirt junior quarterback Clint Trickett to give West Virginia some breathing room in the fourth quarter.

So, what I saw during Saturday’s game was one of the most underused players in all of college football finally get his chance to shine.

We all know how good Sims is and could be if given the opportunity. He’s a special player who doesn’t come around too often for any team.

Offensive coordinator Shannon Dawson said Sims must get touches following the win against TCU. For the Mountaineers to really have the ultimate success, Sims must be used throughout the game.

In no way, shape or form should WVU be a pass-first team this season. With three games remaining, Sims must get his touches, because we know there’s always the possibility the senior could break one for six points.

The win against TCU signified Sims is capable game in and game out of this kind of breakout performance.

In the season-high 154 yards for Sims, he averaged over six yards per carry. With three games remaining in the 2013 season, Sims has a strong chance of racking up over 1,000 yards.

It’s pretty simple: when you get your best player the ball, good things happen. It’s no surprise the offense is a bit inconsistent and far from potent. When Sims is able to see the open field, defenses have to adjust.

When Sims gets his fair share of carries, it takes the pressure off Trickett. Trickett and Sims have developed some chemistry in the passing game as well, as seen in Saturday’s win over TCU. Sims’ ability to cut and make defenders miss tackles are what makes him such a threat. If you’re the defensive coordinator for Texas, Kansas or Iowa State, you must be aware of where No. 3 is on the field.

While I firmly believe TCU shot itself in the foot at times in Fort Worth, Texas, Saturday, West Virginia took advantage of four turnovers and some costly penalties on the Horned Frogs. The Mountaineers relied on Sims for the victory. That’s what they should do every week.

After all, he’s the guy defenses target but still can’t seem to completely figure out. With West Virginia needing to win two out of its next three games, the offense should rely on Sims’ ability to carry the load.

For us, as common viewers having the opportunity to watch this talent in person, we should cherish what he does on the field for the rest of the season.

Hustle and Bustle

Students pass in front of the Mountainlair during a class change

12:36 am | See more