Mountaineers fall to Oklahoma Saturday afternoon - The Daily Athenaeum: Volleyball

Mountaineers fall to Oklahoma Saturday afternoon

Posted: Monday, October 28, 2013 5:00 am

The West Virginia volleyball team finished off its toughest stretch of play this season by falling in straight sets (15-25, 14-25, 20-25) to Oklahoma Saturday afternoon. The Sooners (18-4, 6-2 Big 12) are the third straight WVU opponent ranked in the RPI top 15. Head coach Jill Kramer said she is disappointed by the results of her team during the stretch, but she said she believes playing against a high level competition will eventually help.

“We will get in the gym and get better. We have played three teams consecutively who are ranked No. 1, No. 11, and No. 15 in the RPI, respectively,” Kramer said. “That will make us a better team, because we have competed hard against them.”

The Sooners’ offensive charge was lead by senior middle blocker Sallie McLaurin.

McLaurin posted a .345 hitting clip, led her team with 14 kills and chipped in three blocks. Madison Ward and Kelia Rodriguez hit .478 and .474 clips respectively to help energize the Oklahoma offense.

The Mountaineers (16-7, 2-6 Big 12) took an early 9-7 in the first set before Oklahoma responded with a 6-0 run.

The Sooners dictated the tempo of the opening set by notching 15 team kills while hitting a .353 clip. Eight errors and .032 hitting percentage allowed Oklahoma to take the first set 15-25.  

“Oklahoma played great today. I thought they had a great day defensively and just didn’t commit many errors offensively,” Kramer said. “They really made us earn our points. We were very high-error and just seemed to have a tough time getting in a rhythm offensively.”

The Mountaineers will return back to Morgantown to take on Marshall Tuesday at 6:30 p.m., inside the WVU Coliseum.