Carey, West Virginia sign five for next season - The Daily Athenaeum: Womens Basketball

Carey, West Virginia sign five for next season

Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2013 2:34 am

West Virginia women’s basketball head coach Mike Carey announced the signings of five new players for the 2014-15 roster Friday.

The class of 2014 is comprised of Abigail Asoro (Stockholm, Sweden/Fryshueset Gymnasium/Iowa Western CC); Kristina King (Thomasville, N.C./New Hope Christian Academy); Kayla Montgomery (Powder Springs, Ga./McEachern High/Gulf Coast CC); Dominique Simpson (Orlando, Fla./Jones High); and Tyara Warren (Plano, Texas/Plano West High).

“This is a large class and we’re really excited about it,” Carey said. “We brought in three freshmen and two junior college players. They are all very great young ladies and make good grades.”

The Mountaineers will be losing five seniors, so adding more depth to the roster is essential.

“We felt we had to get some players to come in with experience,” Carey said.

Asoro is a 6-foot tall forward, and she originally played collegiate basketball at Iowa Western Community College. She led the way for Iowa Western, averaging 18.5 points and 8.5 rebounds per game, including a 30-point outing.

Hailing from Stockholm, Sweden, Asoro was named the best player in Sweden’s youth-18. She was a member of the 2011 Scandinavian All-Star team and played her first collegiate season at Daytona Beach in Daytona Beach, Fla., in 2011-12.

“She’s a very athletic and versatile player,” Carey said. “She can play inside and out, and she’s a great athlete. She brings a lot of experience to us from the junior college level.”

King is a 6-foot-3 forward, who primarily plays in the post. A four-star prospect, King is No. 8 overall in the country in her position group and in the top 100 by All-Star Girl’s Report.

“Like Abigail, Kristina is very athletic, as well,” Carey said. “She runs the floor extremely well and fits into our system really well.”

Montgomery is a 6-foot-4 center transferring from Gulf Coast Community College. During her time there, Montgomery was selected to be a part of the 2013 NJCAA Women’s Basketall Coaches Association All-Star Tournament. She played 29 games as a freshman, and her team is currently 5-0 with Montgomery averaging 10.2 points , 9.0 rebounds and 3.8 blocks per game.

“With Asya Bussie leaving and having some younger post players, Kayla really reigns some experience to us at the post immediately coming in from junior college,” Carey said. “She is a very good face-up post player (who) can block shots and run the floor.”

Simpson, a 5-foot-8 guard out of Orlando, Fla., is a three-star prospect and ranked No. 18 nationally in her position. As a sophomore, she led Jones High to the 2012 FHSAA Final Four for the first time in 10 years.

“She has a nice stroke, is very athletic and can get to the rim,” Carey said. “She has great quickness, and we think she can help us on the perimeter.”

Warren is a 5-foot-9 guard and a three-star prospect. Hailing from Plano, Texas, she helped Plano West High to a 36-4 record during her junior season.

“Tyra is another player (who) can play several positions,” Carey said. “She can play on the perimeter, but also does a great job defensively.”

These five girls make up a recruiting class that is considered the 18th-best in the nation.

Royal Ambitions

Homecoming king contestant Joseph Rosati campaigns in the free speech zone outside the Mountainlair

11:26 pm | See more