Top seed West Virginia prepares for Big 12 tournament - The Daily Athenaeum: Womens Soccer

Top seed West Virginia prepares for Big 12 tournament

Posted: Tuesday, November 5, 2013 5:26 am

The West Virginia women’s soccer team (13-3-2, 7-1) clinched first place in the Big 12 Championship and will face No. 8 Kansas Wednesday in Kansas City, Mo., at Swoop Soccer Village.

Kansas (7-10-2, 2-5-1) took the No. 8 spot in the tournament after its 2-0 victory over Oklahoma Friday.

The last time these two teams met was Oct. 18 in Morgantown where the Mountaineers defeated the Jayhawks 2-0. This will be the first time these two teams have met in postseason play.  

Kansas has qualified for the Big 12 Championship 13 of 15 seasons under head coach Mark Francis.

In the 2012 season, Kansas lost to Texas Tech 2-0 in the Big 12 Championship quarterfinals.

Still unbeaten after 15 games, No. 12 Texas Tech (16-1-2, 6-0-2) will be the No. 2 seed while the Texas Longhorns (12-5-2, 5-2-1) sit in the No. 3 seed.

Iowa State (9-8-2, 3-4-1) earned the fourth spot, while Baylor (10-5-3, 3-4-1) is the No. 5 seed. Oklahoma State secured the No. 6 seed with TCU garnering the No. 7 slot.

In their inaugural season in the Big 12, the Mountaineers finished No. 1 in the regular season but fell to TCU in the first round.  

Izzo-Brown said losing in the Big 12 tournament last year only makes the women’s soccer team hungrier.

“It’s just fuel for my fire,” she said. “(The team) will be hearing about us losing last year until the cows come home. I think losses are your best opportunities to teach, and I think those are great moments. So, I don’t forget about those.”

The Mountaineers had an off week as they finished up the regular conference earlier than many of the other teams, something Izzo-Brown said she believes will only help her team as they head into the postseason.

“It’s good to get your legs rested. It definitely gives the girls an opportunity to recover,” Izzo-Brown said. “I think it’s extremely important going into postseason to be able to mentally and physically recover after a long season.”

The first quarterfinal match will feature Iowa State versus Baylor Wednesday at 12:30 p.m., followed by Texas facing Oklahoma State at 3 p.m. West Virginia will face Kansas at 6:30 p.m. for the third game of the day. The Texas Tech and TCU match at 9 p.m will end the quarterfinal round.

The Big 12 Championship semifinals begin Friday followed by the final championship match Sunday at 4:30 p.m.  

The final match will be broadcast on FOX Sports 1, while the six matches leading up to it will be streamed live by the Big 12 Digital Network on

The top eight teams based on conference results qualify for the postseason event that will take place in Kansas City Nov. 6, 8 and 10 at Swope Soccer Village.

Ball is Life

Michael Shockley and Nick Arrante, Freshmen Engineering students, enjoy a  one-on-one Game in the cool weather at the Mountainlair basketball court

11:04 pm | See more