On Saturday, the WVU men’s basketball team will look to wrangle the Longhorns as Texas travels to the WVU Coliseum.

wvu men's basketball

Feb. 2, 2019: WVU’s Horton, Harris, and Mattews Jr. celebrate the mountaineer victory over the Oklahoma Sooners.

The matchup is the second time the two teams have met this season. On Jan. 5, the Longhorns came out victorious on their home court in Austin, 61-54.

Since WVU joined the Big 12 in 2012, Texas has had the slight edge in the head-to-head battle. In 15 games, West Virginia has only come out on top seven times compared to the Longhorns’ eight victories.

With head coach Shaka Smart at the helm, the 2018-19 version of Texas comes into the game with an overall record of 12-10. They currently sit at sixth in the Big 12 with a 4-5 conference record.

The Longhorns have been led on the floor by senior guard Kerwin Roach II, who leads the team in scoring with an average of 14.6 points per game. Senior forward Dylan Osetkowski leads the team in rebounding, averaging eight per game, while also contributing an average of 10.3 points per game.

On the West Virginia side of things, the Mountaineers come into the game having dropped their most recent matchup, losing on Monday in a drubbing at the hands of Texas Tech, 81-50.

One thing to note is that freshman forward Derek Culver, in his second start of the season, ended the night with 23 points — a career high.

Culver now also leads all Mountaineers with 8.5 rebounds per game. Excluding junior forward Sagaba Konate, who has been injured since December, James “Beetle” Bolden leads West Virginia in scoring with 12.2 points per game.

The Mountaineers and Longhorns will tip off at 9 p.m. Saturday. ESPN2 will have the television broadcast.

Jared Serre is a freshman Journalism major from Mayfield, Ohio. Jared writes for The Daily Athenaeum’s news and sports sections and hopes to use what he learns at The DA in a future media career.