The bicycle serves as inspiration to “keep moving.”

The whole month of April is dedicated to making people aware of organ donation. 

Donate Life Month is an initiative started by Donate Life America in 2003. It is an entire month to encourage Americans to sign to be organ donors. The theme for Donate Life Month 2019 is “Life is a beautiful ride.” 

According to Donate Life’s website, “For the 2019 National Donate Life Month theme, Donate Life America was inspired by bicycles and the phrase ‘Life is a beautiful ride.’ Like the donation and transplantation journey, a bicycle serves as a symbol of progress, renewal and the moving circle of life.”

Donate Life America is a nonprofit organization that works to motivate people to register as organ donors as well as increase the number of organ, eye and tissue donations. Currently, 114,00 people are waiting to receive an organ transplant and every 10 minutes someone else is added to that list.

One person has the potential to save eight lives through organ donation by donating their kidneys, heart, lungs, liver, small bowel and pancreas. A person can also enhance the lives of up to 75 people through tissue donation, and sight can be restored to two people through cornea donation.

As a part of National Donate Life Month, WVU’s Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA) will be hosting an event in the Mountainlair on April 18 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. to promote organ and tissue donation, and to encourage students to become registered donors if they aren’t already. The theme of the event will be “Saying yes to giving more birthdays,” because by registering to be an organ donor, you are helping to create more birthdays in the world.