The Monongalia Arts Center held the first half of its two-weekend showing of the lighthearted relationship comedy, “Love, Sex, and the IRS.”  The show will run again March 7-8.

“Love, Sex, and the IRS” depicts one hilarious afternoon in the apartment of Jon and Leslie, two male, college friends who have been living together ever since reaching the adult world.  What should be a simple visit from an IRS agent is anything but, as a multitude of lies and secrets pile up on top of each other.

For one thing, Leslie has been involved in an affair with Kate, Jon’s fiancee, for some time. That’s not the only lie being covered up, though; on their taxes for the last few years, Jon has been listing he and Leslie as “married,” in order to save money. On top of that, he’s been listing Leslie as a female.

Wacky antics ensue as the group tries to juggle all of their lies throughout the afternoon.  Leslie must masquerade as a woman, which is tough enough without having to deal with the additional complications brought on by surprise visits from Jon’s judgmental mother, Leslie’s girlfriend Connie and the nosey manager of the apartment building, Mr. Jansen.

Luckily, the oblivious IRS agent, Floyd Spinner, proves to be an easier man to trick than the group anticipated, especially after having a few drinks. But after he invites himself to stay for dinner, the gang realizes they will have to keep up the charade for much longer than they originally intended.

One particularly funny character was IRS agent Spinner. Although he started off as a gruff, serious individual, he soon became one of the funnier characters on set. His frequent jokes about his “ugly” wife and drunken tomfoolery were the source of much of the audience’s laughter. 

Overall, “Love, Sex, and the IRS” is an outstanding comedy that (fortunately) doesn’t attempt to shoehorn in some deeper meaning or dramatic sub-plot, which is nice and refreshing, especially since it seems Hollywood only believes in adding drama lately. From the get-go, it is obvious humor is the main focus of the show.

“Love, Sex, and the IRS” was well-received, as the audience was laughing the whole time and truly seemed to be enjoying the show.

“The guy that played Leslie (Justin Grow) was fantastic,” said Andrew Coleman, a junior wildlife and fisheries student.

If you’re looking for two hours of lighthearted fun this weekend, visit the Monongalia Arts Center to check out “Love, Sex, and the IRS.” The curtain opens at 8 p.m., and tickets are $10.