peeps

Peeps– the controversial Easter candy

This weekend is Easter, and a classic holiday candy has people divided: Peeps. 

The sugar-coated marshmallow treat holds about the same amount of controversy as its sugary Halloween counterpart candy corn. 

People either wait all year to enjoy the candies or shame their existence. 

Freshman history student Karley Morris likes her fix of Peeps during the holiday season. 

“I like them in small quantities – like a row,” Morris said. 

NPR says in the springtime, Peeps will outsell jelly beans.

In 2013, Just Born, which makes Peeps as well as other candies, prepped to produce more than 1 billion chicks and bunnies in light of Easter, breaking the record for the previous year, according to Kelton, a research agency.

Not everyone is finding joy in Peeps, though.

Kelton said a survey conducted by RetailMeNot in 2017 showed people’s interest in Peeps as an Easter candy staple much lower than expected. In comparison to three other candies – Reese’s Mini Peanut Butter Chocolate Eggs, chocolate bunnies and jelly beans —  only 34% of Americans prioritized Peeps.

The survey suggested that people are turning to peanut butter and chocolate treats to fill their baskets and satisfy their Easter sweet tooth. Regardless, Peeps continue to be the most popular non-chocolate Easter candy. 

According to Tanya Pai of Vox, the “sugar-coated marshmallows with eyes” were created in the early ‘50s and originally came in only one shape: the chick. Now, high demand has turned them into a year-round snack, as they come in hearts for Valentine’s Day, ghosts for Halloween and even specialty characters like Minions.