Steve Smith

Steve Smith signed to  Mon Hills Records.

Country musician Steve Smith will bring free music and relaxation to the Upper Room Ministries Coffee House.

Smith is a singer, songwriter and musician and started his musical journey at the age of 12, trading in his dirt bike for an instrument. The country musician has opened for well-known artists like Darryl Worley, Lee Brice, David Nail, David Allen Coe and music legend Charlie Daniels. Smith was recently inducted as an Artist Member to the Historic Wheeling Jamboree.

Smith signed with Mon Hills Records in 2014 shortly after meeting the President of Mon Hills Records, Cody Kerns. Smith met Kerns in the Mountainlair while promoting a benefit event for a West Virginia University student with cancer. Kerns attended the event and signed Smith days later. Smith believes he has become a better writer, with songs that have made the country charts in Australia and have been in demand by musician Kix Brooks.

"Signing with Mon Hills records has definitely made me look deeper in my heart to write better," Smith said. "I can hardly wait for the release of my new record titled ‘Now and Then’ for our fans and listeners to hear."

The performance on Thursday will give audiences a sneak peek of what to expect on the new record Smith is releasing. He likes acoustic shows like the upcoming show because they allow him to tell the story behind his songs.

"I will be doing country, bluegrass, gospel and you never know what else I just may tackle," Smith said. "There is nothing to hide behind at one of these shows… it is just me and my guitar."

The head manager of Sales and Distribution at Mon Hills Records, Chris Wade, believes Smith is an awesome person and artist. Wade has spent time with Smith in the studio and has experienced his music in person while getting to know him.

"He is so passionate about his music and the state of West Virginia," Wade said. "We at Mon Hills are honored to be working with him. Those in attendance on Thursday should be ready for a great show by Steve!"

Smith performed at The First Baptist Church in the beginning of his journey with Mon Hills Records and will return again to bring back memories.

The performance will be at 6:35 p.m. Oct. 1 at The First Baptist Church on High Street. For more information, visit the Upper Room Ministries Coffee House page on Facebook.

The event is free and open to the public.