DNCE

‘SWAAY’ by DNCE

"SWAAY" by DNCE

It seems the Jonas Brothers have had a lot of trouble staying out of the spotlight.

Joe Jonas has recently reemerged in pop culture conversations with the introduction of his new funky, pop-rock band DNCE. Pronounced letter-by-letter, the band name is "dance without a letter, it’s not a perfect word, and you don’t always have to be the perfect dancer to dance."

DNCE started making waves when they performed their awesome debut single "Cake By The Ocean" on the Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon and quickly kept up the attack by releasing a four song EP called SWAAY on Oct. 23.

You can tell the band is not just a few musicians playing background for Jonas, and he wanted to make sure listeners quickly understood this was not the case. He is excited to have to start fresh and to build buzz for a new project by letting the music speak for itself. Boy does it, with extremely melodic, upbeat instrumentals that groove endlessly while Jonas and others sing jubilant lyrics.

DNCE knows it is already having a blast chanting together and creating new terms for sex, just tell your guy or girl you want to go "eat cake by the ocean." I’m sure they will get the picture.

"The Dying Things We Live For" by Like Moths To Flames

A poetic album name, several thematic and symbolic references to fire, and a lot of anguish and vengeance to be screamed and sung about—there must be a new Like Moths To Flames on the shelves. The Columbus post-hardcore metal band released their third studio album with Rise Records on Oct. 23, entitled "The Dying Things We Live For."

LMFT continued hanging out in their comfort zone on the new album, tending to fill songs with relentless percussion, grisly riffs and angry screaming that leads into either light pop-punk choruses or into heavy breakdowns. Lead vocalist Chris Roetter is still the trump card for the band—a talented singer as well as an extraordinary unclean vocalist who knows how to present a song as its own story. This is what the band does well, and has always done well but after two albums and a couple of EPs I was expecting something new on "TDTWF."

Only 10 tracks and 30 minutes in length, the album is a breeze to listen to. There are a bunch of songs that you can play when you need to get hyped up or energized, such as "Fighting Fire With Fire" and "Wasted Days," but there is not much change in sound across the album.

The lack of variation gives "TDWTF" a short lifespan, and may leave some of the songs swept under the rug.

"Sounds Good, FeelS Good" by 5 Seconds of Summer

Boy band or rock band? We may never know what exactly to call 5 Seconds of Summer, but I can at least say confidently its sound is infectious.

"Sounds Good, Feels Good" is not a boy band album. The album kicks off with the band preparing themselves to get back to work, tuning up the guitar and talking a bit in the studio before jumping in headfirst for a predominantly happy jam session that both sounds good and feels good.

The reason 5 Seconds of Summer makes the radio is because they make poppy instrumentals for poppy singing, but on their sophomore album they spin this concept into their own sound and seem to know in what direction they are aiming. These guys sure know their way around a chorus, and that is what gives much of the energy and explosiveness to "Sounds Good, Feels Good," with great hooks on "Money," "Jet Black Heart" and the lead single "She’s Kinda Hot" which has been in the airwaves for a while now.

The music still keeps its youthful spirit and is definitely directed more toward a younger audience, but that does not stop the band from making some great songs for any listeners.

If you need to experience your own five seconds of summer you can find the sound of it in this album, but you may not be struck by much originality.