A screenshot of the short film Nemophelia, a poetic short focusing on the appeal of the forest. This film was directed by Mirjam Dahl Pedersen.

A screenshot of the short film "Nemophelia,"  a poetic short-focusing on the appeal of the forest. This film was directed by Mirjam Dahl Pedersen.

After hundreds of submissions and a carousel of revisions, the annual West Virginia Mountaineer Short Film Festival kicks off Friday, April 26 at 7:30 p.m. at the Gluck Theatre inside the Mountainlair.

The main category of this year’s festival compromises of ‘Meme Culture.’ This can include everything from timeless classics such as the ‘Doge,’ all the way to the multi-faceted memes that linger across Twitter timelines today. 

Even though this year’s theme is ‘Meme Culture,’ there are a plethora of films that compose other categories and genres. Narrative films will have a strong showing at the fest, along with the ‘Mockumentary’ style of filmmaking. 

The festival will run into the night on Friday and Saturday with the final film being presented at approximately 11:45 p.m. During the first hour-and-a-half on the opening night, all films presented will be created by WVU students. 

The inaugural festival was started in 2010 by the Electronic Media Area of the WVU School of Art and Design. 

This will be the ninth edition of the festival. Admission is free and this event is open to the public. 

A visually-oriented media specialist, focused on providing accessible and interactive content to those who seek it. Tech aficionado. Futbol fanatic. Part-time photojournalist, full-time student.