The 2nd Annual Ugly Holiday Sweater 5k

The 2nd Annual Ugly Holiday Sweater 5k will go through WVU’s Evansdale campus.

Fall is coming to a close and the holiday season is upon us. It is essential to start planning out your Winter Break. To help narrow down festive and fun-filled events, here is a list of the top five holiday outings in and near Morgantown. 

Local Christmas Parades

Oh yes, Morgantown does have a parade for every season. In fact, so does Star City. Both parades will feature local groups and organizations proudly marching down the main streets of the towns. Local groups of all kinds, such as the Morgantown High School Marching Band, will fill the community with Christmas cheer. The Morgantown Christmas parade will be held from 7-8 p.m. Dec. 4 on High Street. The Star City Christmas Parade will be held on the evening of Dec. 11 in the heart of the small town. 

Festival of Lights at Oglebay Resort

This Christmas light show is a must-see. Located in Wheeling, West Virginia, the festival is widely known throughout the area. Thousands of people travel to the resort to see the sparkling lights every year. The best part about the light show is that you don’t even have to get out of your car and face the cold weather. Covering 300 acres, participants drive through the six-mile stretch of the Festival of Lights in their own cars. If you’ve been to the festival before, consider going again to check out its new light displays. The event will be held now until Jan. 3.

"The Polar Express" Pajama Party

The WVU Barnes and Noble Bookstore is celebrating the 30th anniversary of the classic children’s book, "The Polar Express," by hosting a special party inside the bookstore. Held on Dec. 4, the pajama party will begin at 7 p.m. The event will consist of games, crafts and much more. Anyone interested in attending should don their favorite PJs in celebration of the beloved book.

Celebration of Lights

Held by the South Fairmont Rotary Club, this holiday light show is local and affordable. Although the Celebration of Lights is only a 1.3 mile drive, the Rotary Club was named "The Favorite Marion County Event" in 2014. Featuring the lighted outlines of cars, trains of presents and Santa riding on a motorcycle, the event truly has a decoration for everyone. The Celebration of Lights will be held at Morris Park starting on Black Friday and ending on the last Sunday of December.

2nd Annual Ugly Holiday Sweater 5k

This event is perfect for those looking to combine a hard work out and an Ugly Christmas Sweater themed party. Held on Dec. 6, the marathon will begin at the WVU Student Rec Center and will continue throughout the Evansdale campus. Presented by the WVU School of Physical Therapy Class of 2017, the race is a great way to give back to a  local organization, celebrate the holiday season and work off all the yummy food you enjoyed at Thanksgiving. Grab your ugliest Christmas sweater and visit https://runsignup.com/Race/WV/Morgantown/2ndAnnualUglyHolidaySweater5KRunWalk to register.