The One-Act Play Festival

The One-Act Play Festival started off with "Play About Bacon" by Carol Rice.

Playwrights from across the globe came together for a weekend of hysterics and debuts of new works.

Local Morgantown theatre M.T. Pockets Theatre Company celebrated its third annual One Act Festival on Friday and Saturday.

The One Act Festival grows more each year, bringing in crowds from all across town. The advisory board selected 12 one-act plays written and directed by authors from across America. The acts are rated M for mature audiences due to intense situations, strong language and nudity.

The One Act Festival was originally planned for Jan. 22 and 23, but Winter Storm Jonas forced the dates to be pushed back. The plays debuted across two acts throughout the weekend. Act I began Friday evening and included six acts. The festival continued with Act II on Saturday with the remaining six performances. Audiences casted votes on a ballot at the end of the evening to rate their top three favorites.

The general manager of M.T. Pockets Theatre Company, Vickie Trickett, believes all the acts were great as the festival proved to be another huge success. Trickett directed the act, "The Lady Killers." The sold-out crowd and line out the door reflected the success of the festival.

"Friday was almost a full house, and Saturday was standing room only," Trickett said. "I think packed, packed houses say it all. The audience loved it."

Tracy Lynch, a director and coordinator for the festival, counted the ballot results of the top three most favored acts of the One Act Festival. Saturday’s performance of "The Back Massage," by Ginger Reiter, won first place. This act broke all barriers of sexuality as a 15-year-old girl begged her mother for a sex toy birthday gift. "Happy Hour" by JoAnne Walton won second place, showing audiences what happens when mothers join their daughters at happy hour. Lastly, "Imported or Domestic" by Jeff Carter won third place. This act struck laughter as two men met in a bar, one thinking he was interviewing to be a plumber and the other thinking he was interviewing a hit man.

Friday evening kicked off the festival with "Play About Bacon" written by Carol M. Rice. This act encompassed the struggle of a play selection committee trying to find something worth producing within stacks of play submissions. "Housekeeping," written by Connie Schindewolf, followed by telling the story of new homeowners discovering an unexpected housewarming gift.

A battle between a cross-dresser and female impersonator was depicted in "Jamie & Johnny" written by William Underwood. "The Wedding Night Tweets", written by Daniel Guyton, displays a wife’s overzealous social media presence and her new husband’s affliction. "Plug It In" by Irene Pynn presented a couple’s dependence on technology, making fun of the average person’s reliance. Lastly, "The Lady Killers" by Matt Fox brought the house down Friday evening as three female killers encouraged the audience to reconsider society’s views on crime and violence.

The top three favorite acts were all performed on Saturday evening. The remaining acts include "Surprise", written by Michael Perlmutter, featuring a blindfolded woman on a date which led to more than she bargained for. Strangers in a love affair told each other who they really are in the play "Grilling" by Travis Teffner. The last act of the festival, "The Unabridged Kama Sutra" by L.H. Grant, embodied the struggle of a young couple fighting to beat a world record.

The M.T. Pockets Theatre Company holds events year-round involving the Morgantown community. An open microphone night for all arts, "Show Us Your Bits", will debut at 7 p.m. on Thursday. For more information on upcoming shows and ticket prices, visit http://MTPocketsTheatre.com/.