Whenever your inner songwriter or musician gets inspired, take it to Schmitt’s Saloon for the Songwriters’ Showcase. Schmitt’s is now hosting its 128th Showcase.

"It is a good place to come and see really good and really talented artists," said Scott Frederick, the director and co-founder of the Songwriters’ Showcase. "It is not like amateur hour or open mic. In fact, over half of the musicians that come and play are true professional musicians."

Since the opening of Schmitt’s Saloon in February 2013, the Showcase has continued to impress each week. Before Schmitt’s was open, it was suggested by a friend to do a songwriters’ night. Now every Tuesday, new musicians have the opportunity to play their work on stage.

"I have had over 100 unique artists play, and three bands that I know of were formed because the artists that played at songwriters’ night got inspired and formed a band," Frederick said. "They went on to release a CD. We have had three or four CD release parties at the Showcase. Three of my regulars at the showcase who played often are now living in Nashville and are basically full-time musicians down there."

The Showcase is unique in that performers are expected to perform their own original work for at least half their set. The event features both local performers and travelers, with some people coming from Nashville to play. Since its opening, Schmitt’s Saloon has seen 30 No. 1 artists play on its stage.

The variety of performers is sure to impress any audience. While the lineup changes every week, it consistently features solo artists as well as acts from local bands. With genres ranging anywhere from country to heavy metal, there is a little something for everyone.

"I would like to see a bigger audience," Frederick said. "The caliber of talent is amazing, and the variety is impressive.

"We have had anywhere from country to Americana to folk. We have had heavy metal and punk. We have had pretty much everything. We have had blue-grass and pretty much every genre represented."

Each performer gets a 30-minute time slot and can play their original work and a few cover songs. Participants have to sign up the day before the show.

"I still do it because it is really rewarding to see how it basically affects musicians that come and play. It gives them an avenue to try out new songs and a chance to play on literally a world-famous stage," Frederick said.

The 128th Songwriters’ Showcase is from 7:30- 11 p.m. tonight at Schmitt’s Saloon. There is no cover charge and no age limit. It takes the stage every Tuesday.

For more information on the Songwriters’ Showcase, visit its Facebook page at https://facebook.com/SongwritersShowcaseAtSchmittsSaloon.