marvel movies

Marvel movies

“Avengers Endgame” comes out in two weeks, bringing the Marvel Cinematic Universe full circle. After 11 years and the establishment of a cinematic universe, Marvel is on top of the world. With 11 years’ worth of Marvel movie watching experience, here are my top five MCU films you should watch.

“Captain America: The Winter Soldier” 

The second film in many trilogy’s usually is a disappointment compared to its predecessor, but there are exceptions like “Terminator 2” and “The Empire Strikes Back,” and, in this instance, “The Winter Soldier.” This was the film that established Captain America as an awesome character in the MCU. It’s him vs. the world as he has to take down the evil organization Hydra that has infiltrated S.H.I.E.L.D. and plans to wipe out everyone who is a threat to them. This is peak comic book noir mixed with real life problems.

“Spider-Man: Homecoming” 

If you’re anything like me, you love Spider-Man. One of Marvel’s most iconic heroes finally joined the MCU and got his own standalone film. This time, Marvel understood it wasn’t time for ANOTHER Peter Parker origin story, instead making a film that has an established web-head swinging around. Tom Holland is the most accurate comic book Spider-Man we have ever had, and that, along with a great performance of an iconic character, is why you should watch this film.

“Guardians of the Galaxy” 

This quite frankly is a comic book property that shouldn’t have been as successful as it has proven to be. The Guardians are some of Marvel’s least known superheroes; however, with an all-star cast headlined by Chris Pratt and excellent directing by James Gunn, “Guardians of the Galaxy” is a blast to watch. It’s a hilarious journey set in space with an amazing soundtrack. What more could you ask for?

“Avengers: Infinity War” 

The film that shocked the world last year deserves a spot on this list. The film that brought every movie property in the MCU together is filled with humor, action, and an ending that will leave you a crying mess. “Infinity War” has it all. It also has a cool name, so bonus points.

“Thor: Ragnarok” 

The first two “Thor” films were underwhelming.  They were dark and tried bringing those themes to the character Thor, and if you watched “Avengers” you know Thor is MUCH better in light-hearted scenarios. In “Thor: Ragnarok,” Taika Waititi, a filmmaker,  understood this and made this a hilarious trip for the entire film. Throw in the use of “Immigrant Song” by Led Zeppelin and you have my attention. Waititi also made the best decision in the MCU, which was having Jeff Goldblum in this film, which is an automatic win no matter what.