One day after the men’s team captured its Cancun Challenge Championship, the No. 23 West Virginia women’s basketball team began its slate of games in the women’s portion on Thursday. The Mountaineers lost their first game of the year to the Creighton Blue Jays on Thursday night, 82-75.

At the end of the first quarter, WVU led 26-15 after jumping out to a 16-7 lead six minutes into the opening quarter. In the second quarter, the Mountaineers had their largest lead of the game at 39-27. However, the Blue Jays finished out the half on a 16-2 run to gain the edge, 43-41. 

To begin the second half, West Virginia (4-1) and Creighton (5-1) traded baskets with the Blue Jays holding the lead at 47-43. After Creighton gained its largest lead of the game at nine, there was a three-minute scoring drought from both sides before the Blue Jays finished the third quarter leading 63-54. 

In the fourth, Creighton held on to seal the upset victory, 82-75. 

Creighton senior forward Jaylyn Agnew led all scorers with 34 points. Agnew went 6-of-11 from behind the arc as the Blue Jays shot 13-of-26 for three-pointers. 

Senior Tynice Martin led the Mountaineers with 19 points and nearly had a double-double with nine rebounds. Freshman Kirsten Deans added 14 points as she made her first career start for West Virginia. 

West Virginia finished the game tied with Creighton in rebounding, with each team grabbing 36 boards. Despite the loss, the Mountaineer defense was successful in forcing 16 Creighton turnovers while WVU only committed 11. 

Up next, West Virginia takes on New Mexico on Friday to wrap up the Cancun Challenge. The game is scheduled to tip off at 4 p.m.