As things start getting colder and everyone starts getting into the holiday spirit, I always love big breakfasts. In Morgantown, there are a lot of good places to go to get a good dinner, but places that make a good, American breakfast are a little bit harder to find. 

I’ve been told that not so long ago there was a great diner on High Street, but since its closing, there has been a noticeable lack of places. If you’re willing to cross Cheat Lake, however, Ruby and Ketchy’s Restaurant really hits the spot. 

Ruby and Ketchy’s Restaurant is the classic American diner. Giving me a reminder of my childhood, the wooden booths, walls and fireplace all work to provide a comfy and homey atmosphere. Going there with friends and family really makes for a nice outing to talk and enjoy some quality cooking. The establishment is open for lunch and dinner as well, but there’s something about their breakfast that really calls to me. 

When I was there, I had a big American-style breakfast including eggs over easy, bacon and pancakes with a side of toast. A basic order, but the restaurant made it as perfectly as one could hope for. 

The bacon in particular was very thick, juicy and not overcooked, like some other notable breakfast places do. The pancakes were soft, fluffy and paired with genuine maple syrup — it reminded me of my grandma’s own cooking. Like most breakfast decisions, the meal was very customizable to my individual needs, and it left me satisfied for hours.

Ruby and Ketchy’s Restaurant is pretty far for the average student, its location across Cheat Lake prohibits even students with a car from enjoying it, but in my own opinion, it is worth the trip. I’ve only had the chance to eat at the restaurant two to three times during my time at WVU, but I now have cravings for it every month or so, leaving me hungry for the feeling of going there sometimes more than for the actual food. 

Ruby and Ketchy’s Restaurant is a good alternative to restaurants such as IHOP or Waffle House, where the food can sometimes taste somewhat processed. Don’t get me wrong, I love the casual visit to both those places, but if you’re looking for a genuine and wholesome experience, go to Ruby and Ketchy’s.

Ruby and Ketchy’s Restaurant is located at 2232 Cheat Rd and is open from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. all week long.