Seafood is not generally Morgantown’s specialty. You’d be better off trying to find a good burger, steak or some pad thai. It makes sense to an extent, Morgantown is about three hours from the sea. Crab Shack Caribba defies logic and manages to bring the sea to us.

I visited Crab Shack Caribba’s Suncrest location, and while I’ve heard many good things about the second location on Cheat Lake, Suncrest was much more accessible as a college student. The restaurant itself attempts at a relaxed Caribbean vibe, although the main attrac- tion is most definitely not the decor. Sourced from all over the country, shipped to Pittsburgh and trucked to the restaurant three times a week, the seafood is surprisingly fresh and prepared well in many of their dishes.

In my visit to the crab shack, I took advantage of the establishment’s well-renowned brunch. The “Crabby Crab Dip” is one of the best things on the menu. I dipped one pita chip in the savory mix, and when I tell you I was hooked, it would be an understatement. An extremely creamy dip loaded with crab, it disappeared in less than 10 minutes. While I did have the inclination to just order more dip and call it day, I tried out one of Caribba’s brunch specials, the shrimp and grits.

I thoroughly enjoyed the mix of Cajun sautéed shrimp and decadent parmesan grits, but I couldn’t wrap my head around the poached egg. Personally, my tastes are opposed to such a smooth version of an egg, but I don’t believe it paired very well with the dish in any case. Within the dish itself was an addition of bacon and several fritters. The fritters and the shrimp were my favorite parts of the dish, and they were noticeably gone shortly after I dug in. Overall, a great dish apart from my own inclinations about the egg.

I would like to mention that while Crab Shack Caribba does focus on bringing seafood to a town that often lacks it as an option, there are many other dishes like steak, omelettes and sandwiches that can satisfy your tastes apart from those geared toward the sea. As it gets colder, the outdoor appeal of the Cheat Lake location might go down, but I do also recommend visiting during some of the warmer months as it is definitely appealing.

Crab Shack Caribba is located at 420 Suncrest Towne Centre Drive and is open 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Mon- day-Thursday, 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. Friday-Saturday and 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. on Sundays.