mango curry

Mango curry

When meal plans are purchased, students and their parents most likely intend it to be their only investment in food for the year. Chaang Thai, along with some other key establishments on High Street, seems to be firmly opposed to this. My credit card history would be an indicator.

Chaang Thai is located right downtown, just next to the iconic Don Knotts statue, making it extremely easy to find. Matching its populous location is a wide array of seating within the restaurant itself, complete with a well-lit Thai ambience and an amazing song playlist. The spacious building provides a great location to dine with friends or family.

The order of the week was a mildly spicy mango curry that proved to be a great choice. Never having operated the touch-screen ordering kiosks before, it was a little confusing, but once you find what you want, it becomes relatively simple. With the curries, one has the option of choosing vegetables, chicken and a variety of other meats, along with the level of spiciness you want with your dish. Wait times may vary but in my experience, it was only about 10-15 minutes for my meal to arrive.

The dish included a sweet red curry paste made savory by simmering in coconut milk with green bell pepper, onion, potato and bamboo. That last ingredient threw me off while eating, as I’d never tasted bamboo before, but now I understand why pandas like it so much. Of course, the mango and my choice of chicken really defined the taste of the meal. All of these things came together with a side of rice that really tied everything together with a metaphorical bow.

The interesting thing about a lot of Chaang Thai’s cuisine is its customizability. As mentioned, you can change the spiciness, meats and other options in the curry, and there are plenty of diverse options for their other dishes. While I do firmly recommend my own choices, I have heard great things about their Pad Thai, spring rolls and their Thai iced coffee and iced tea. Next time you’re downtown, I suggest you go try it out yourself.

Chaang Thai is located at 361 High St. and is open from 11 a.m. to 9:15 p.m. Monday-Wednesday, 11 a.m. to 9:45 p.m. Thursday-Friday and 11:30 a.m. to 9:15 p.m. Saturday-Sunday.