canteen

The exterior of High Street Canteen, located at 514 High St.

If you’re over the age of 21 or happened to live in Boreman Hall at any point, you know what the “Canteen” is. Not only is it a location to meet your best friends and relax after an exhausting day of classes, it’s a place to fulfill any late-night cravings for mozzarella sticks or fries.

It is not a place of refinery or beauty, but it still sits at the peak of Morgantown culture, touching the hearts of alumni and students alike.

I am no stranger to the Canteen. Living in Boreman my freshman year, it definitely contributed to the freshman 15. This establishment has been around for decades, even my parents who went to WVU in the late 1980s frequented what was then known as “Greasy Nick’s” – after the fried food that then-owner Nick Seremetis whipped up into the early hours of the night.

Greasy Nick’s was a great name that rings true today, as a majority of the Canteen’s food is fried to delicious fattening goodness. The “Munchie Bucket” became my personal favorite example of this including perfectly salted curly fries, mozzarella sticks with a creamy melted filling and similarly melted pepper jack cheese balls that end with a slightly spiced aftertaste.

The cheesesteak sub was also deliciously satisfying to some of those deep primal hungers. The salted steak was complemented well by the warm cheese that combines with the steak and bread to form a taste amplified by the tangy mayo. Do you have to fill a hole in your stomach? This is the sandwich for you.

I wouldn’t say that their fried foods are significantly different from any other place, but the convenience of a 2 a.m. box of mac and cheese bites cannot be understated.

Whenever you walk into the Canteen, you’ll be met by friendly faces who are happy to take your order or talk about how late or early it is. It’s the type of place where the staff will remember your name and welcome you back for a glass or a bite. The High Street Canteen has evolved into a place that satisfies many needs, and it will surely continue to do so as time goes by.

This isn’t fine dining; it’s a Morgantown staple.

High Street Canteen is located at 514 High St. and is open from 11 a.m. to midnight Sunday through Tuesday and 11 a.m. to 3 a.m. Wednesday to Saturday.