WVU Homecoming Parade

The Pride of West Virginia marching band performs at the end of the homecoming parade on Sept. 30, 2016 on High Street, Morgantown, W. Va.

Anyone on campus can share at least one fond memory of the Homecoming weeks they experienced in high school. From crazy events to pregame pep rallies, Homecoming week is a tradition embedded in the culture of higher education, and such a tradition continues to find its place at WVU this year.

With three days having already passed in the week, there have been a variety of events across campus hosted by the University and student organizations alike. Greek life, in particular, has been busy throughout the week, with fraternities and sororities being constantly engaged with team-based programs. Major highlights included a food drive on Tuesday, the proceeds of which will be donated to Clay County food banks, and a Red Cross blood drive taking place Thursday at Wesley United Methodist Church.

“Homecoming week helps our students connect with their university and alumni,” Katie Moore said, the assistant director of WVU’s Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life. “It’s a great way for students to see how their relationship with their alma mater evolves over the years.”

The Homecoming queen candidates are Teresa Hoang, Emyle Johnston, Peyton Keener, Meredith Phillips and Rachel Rogers. The Homecoming king candidates are Thaiddeus Dillie, Owen Gray, Seth Parmer, Tyler Redding and William Shultz.

Though much of the attention of Homecoming weekend is centered on the events above, there are countless smaller events taking place across the University every day.

Should students believe themselves to be having trouble getting involved with student life at WVU, Homecoming week can serve as an excellent example for what the University and its organizations can offer.

Though three days have already passed, there are still many events happening in the remainder of the week. The highlights of the events include but are not limited to:

Thursday:

• The inaugural West Virginia Farm-to-Table Charity Dinner: taking place at the Erickson Alumni Center from 5:30 p.m. to 9 p.m. The dinner is a celebration of Appalachian food and produce, featuring a multitude of courses prepared by executive chef Ron Eckenroad. With bluegrass music being provided by local band 18 Strings, the dinner holds the potential to the first of an expansive and long-lasting tradition at WVU.

Friday:

2019 Communication Studies Homecoming Reunion: taking place at 3 p.m. at Almost Heaven Bar and Grill, located at 374 High St., students will have the chance to meet and network with graduates and professors alike until 5 p.m., getting the chance to meet eight of their proud alumni.

The Homecoming Parade: taking place at 6:30 p.m. on High Street, the annual parade complete with floats from WVU’s fraternities and sororities, this year promises to be among the most exciting yet. Many individual colleges are hosting watch parties for the parade, including the Department of Communication Studies and the School of Pharmacy.

Saturday:

Tailgating: between 12:30 p.m. to 1:30 p.m., several colleges will be hosting official tailgates leading up to the Texas football game. These groups include the WVU School of Medicine, CPASS, WVU School of Pharmacy and the WVU College of Law. In addition, the John Chambers College of Business and Economics and Statler College of Engineering and Mineral Resources will be hosting hospitality tents at tent city.

WVU Homecoming Football Game vs. Texas: kicking off at 3:30 p.m., fans sitting in even-numbered sections are encouraged to wear gold, while fans in odd-numbered sections are encouraged to wear blue. All are encouraged to bring their Mountaineer spirit.

In addition, The Pride of West Virginia and the Alumni Marching Band will be putting on a special halftime performance. Afterwords, the Homecoming Court will be introduced, and the Homecoming king and queen will be crowned.