Quidditch players from different Universities that participated in the tournament.

Quidditch teams from all around the area gathered at the Recreation Center Fields on Saturday to participate in WVU’s Almost Heaven Quidditch Tournament. All proceeds from the tournament went to benefit Fairness West Virginia.

Groups from the Pennsylvania and Ohio area participated in Saturday’s tournament. Groups were divided up and put on teams with players from other schools. The atmosphere was casual and allowed people from different teams to intermingle.

Corey Williams, a junior criminology and international studies major from Lexington Park Maryland, is president of the WVU quidditch team.

Williams said he became interested in quidditch because he was a fan of Harry Potter and wanted to find a way to stay active in college. He said the people are his favorite part of the sport.

“We’re just here to have a good time and raise some money,” Williams said.

One aspect of quidditch that sets it apart from other sports is that players run around holding broomsticks between their legs.

Williams said that while riding a broomstick feels odd at first, he gets so concentrated on the game that he forgets the broomstick is there.

Haley Wilken a junior majoring in recreation parks and tourism resources from Philadelphia plays as a chaser and as a snitch. She said she enjoys playing quidditch because it allows her to be rough with people and be a nerd.

“It looked really fun and I’m really into Harry Potter,” Wilken said.

Wilken said she hoped the tournament would strengthen the quidditch community.

While quidditch season is done for this semester, anyone interested in joining for next semester can get information on practice times from the WVU Quidditch Facebook page or email wvuquidditch@gmail.com.