The WVU Alumni Band is set to take the field alongside The Pride of West Virginia on Saturday for WVU’s Homecoming game against Texas.

The WVU Alumni Band was created in 1969 and now has 1,400 members. This year marks 50 years since the band’s creation.

Beth Golden, a member of The Pride of West Virginia from 1988 to 1991, will be returning to Morgantown this weekend and is excited to partake in the Homecoming festivities. Golden played the flute for many years before transitioning to piccolo during her time in The Pride.

“I had never been in a place before or since where 50-plus shrill instruments practiced in one room,” Golden said. “The piccolo section was as big as my high school band.”

Even though she has not participated in alumni band for several years, she is ecstatic to be participating in the 50th anniversary performance.

“I first participated in alumni band in 1992, the first season after I graduated,” Golden said. “I have been a member ever since and have participated in the Homecoming events on and off since then.”

Golden said that the alumni band will be performing a special pregame show that will involve more than 700 current and alumni band members. Along with the pregame show for this upcoming Saturday, Golden said she is thrilled to experience the adrenaline rush that comes from the pent-up excitement of performing in front of thousands of fans.

Besides the alumni band performance, Golden also remarked on memories she obtained during her time in The Pride.

“One of my favorites was getting to travel to the national championship Fiesta Bowl to play Notre Dame in 1989,” Golden said. “We marched in the parade, played at halftime, spent some time sightseeing around Phoenix and played at a lot of events around the bowl game.”

Other than her memories from The Pride, Golden also wishes to leave advice to college students as they experience Homecoming at WVU.

“Get involved in something you are passionate about while you are in college. It is easy to get lost in a big university, but being a part of The Pride really helped frame my entire college experience,” Golden said.

The Pride of West Virginia is set to perform in the WVU Homecoming parade at 6:30 p.m. along with the alumni band, multiple student organizations, the 2019 homecoming court and other community organizations.