Trainwreck

Schumer has recently jumped from TV to the silver screen.

Amy Schumer has been very successful in the comedy side of television lately thanks to her Comedy Central series “Inside Amy Schumer,” and this success has flowed over into the profitable world of cinema.

Schumer’s new movie, which she wrote, is called “Trainwreck,” and has put up some serious box office numbers as well as garnering some favorable reviews from critics. My friends and I are a big fan of Schumer’s TV series, so we were excited to see who she would fare on the big screen.

“Trainwreck” is the story of a commitment-hating, emotionally unreachable magazine writer (Schumer) who was raised to admire her father’s misogynistic and womanizing ways from a young age. Directed by iconic Judd Apatow, the movie centers around her just as she has reached a destructive pattern in which she follows her inhibitions involving drugs, alcohol and sex without fear of any consequences, until she is forced to interview a quiet, dorky sports doctor named Aaron (Bill Hader) who is able to get her to slow down occasionally once they realize they have a valid connection between them.

The comedy appears in their humorous attempts to level with each other, as both of them are in dire need of the qualities of the other person; the qualities they themselves need in order to finally be happy. For Amy it is a sense of responsibility and a desperate need to mature, while Aaron needs to let loose and have fun instead of pressuring himself with his career. As the film progresses, we see Schumer’s character struggle to accept she is feeling genuine emotions as she falls for Aaron, visits and aids her father whose health is deteriorating and tries to keep a good relationship with her recently pregnant sister.

There are many gems in the movie—fast witty banter between Amy and her co-workers, great supporting character roles from John Cena as Amy’s questionable boyfriend, Lebron James as Aaron’s best friend and colleague, Tilda Swinton as Amy’s rude boss and a hilarious movie within the movie called “The Dogwalker” starring Daniel Radcliffe as a guy who walks the streets of New York with several large dogs strapped to his waist.

But as one can expect, not every joke goes over well. There are times where the gag starts to drag on a little too far, but it doesn’t really pull you too far out of the film. I was surprised to find myself feeling a little emotional when the movie found moments to take a couple solid tugs on the heartstrings, giving me a pleasant sense of satisfaction that wasn’t completely based on how entertained I was.

The acting was strong for a blockbuster comedy. Schumer did a great job in the flick, and she was supported well by Hader, Swinton, and James who was surprisingly funny rather than awkward. Colin Quinn, who played Amy’s father, was one of the standouts for me—he had some great lines but he was also just a very strong character who I thought played his influence on Amy well in the movie. All in all, I was very amused with “Trainwreck” and I would recommend it to anyone interested in watching a romantic comedy that emphasizes the comedy.